[oslc-cm] History of changes on a resource

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Tue Dec 14 10:11:22 EST 2010

Le mardi 14 décembre 2010 à 10:00 -0500, Steve K Speicher a écrit :

> > Is there something in the specs describing the standard representation
> > of changes on a resource.
>
> No, not at the moment.

ACK.

> > In bugtrackers, we often have history views of the properties changes,
> > with author and date, that help track who/what.
>
> This would be useful, it just takes someone from WG to own/drive it.
>
> Some things to consider when defining this:
>   - audit trails/history definitions that include what action had been
> invoked
>   - how much detail needs to be exposed on what properties were modified?
>   - is this queryable?
>
> > Are such properties in the scope of OSLC-CM V2 (or more generally OSLC
> > Core) ?
>
> Since OSLC-CM V2 is final, we could not add it to V2 proper.  Though it
> could be developed as an extension or part of a post-2.0 definition.
>
> We do have on our backlog [1] various properties like this and they came
> out of the evaluation [2] we looking at common properties across many
> different CM providers.  I would recommend we start with some concrete
> scenarios in CM, possibly creating a minimal definition for this and then
> evaluating along the way how/when it should be a common resource
> definition / property.
>
> Sound like a reasonable approach?

Sure.

One may also imagine something more in the top-down approach that would
consider the general problem of history of changes on any OSLC Resource,
and the "theorization"/standardization of RDF resource modification
tracking, which would then belong to Core, I guess.

Your approach seems more reasonable in the short term ;)

I'll think about the needs we have for this, and eventually come back
with more concrete proposal.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best regards,
--