[oslc-cm] History of changes on a resource

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Tue Dec 14 10:00:25 EST 2010

> From: Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu>
> To: "oslc-cm at open-services.net" <oslc-cm at open-services.net>
> Date: 12/14/2010 04:23 AM
> Subject: [oslc-cm] History of changes on a resource
> Sent by: oslc-cm-bounces at open-services.net
>
> Is there something in the specs describing the standard representation
> of changes on a resource.

No, not at the moment.

> In bugtrackers, we often have history views of the properties changes,
> with author and date, that help track who/what.

This would be useful, it just takes someone from WG to own/drive it.

Some things to consider when defining this:
  - audit trails/history definitions that include what action had been
invoked
  - how much detail needs to be exposed on what properties were modified?
  - is this queryable?

> Are such properties in the scope of OSLC-CM V2 (or more generally OSLC
> Core) ?

Since OSLC-CM V2 is final, we could not add it to V2 proper.  Though it
could be developed as an extension or part of a post-2.0 definition.

We do have on our backlog [1] various properties like this and they came
out of the evaluation [2] we looking at common properties across many
different CM providers.  I would recommend we start with some concrete
scenarios in CM, possibly creating a minimal definition for this and then
evaluating along the way how/when it should be a common resource
definition / property.

Sound like a reasonable approach?

[1] - http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecBacklog
[2] - http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmCommonProperties (see also