[OSLC-CM] How many tools support (or plan to) OAuth?

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 25 08:58:48 EST 2009

Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu> wrote on 11/25/2009
07:09:13 AM:

> Le vendredi 20 novembre 2009 à 12:14 -0500, Steve K Speicher a écrit :
> >
> > For ALM tool interoperability, a good authentication story is needed.
> >  In CM 1.0, we sort of "punted" on the issue and made some general
> > statements about what SHOULD be supported: HTTP Basic auth, OAuth and
> > SSL.  We never made it a MUST hard mandatory requirement.
> >
> > I'd like get some more information about where participants are with
> > respect to OAuth.  If you don't know much about OAuth, there are some
> > good introductory resources at http://oauth.net
> >
> > So the kind of feedback I'm looking for is:
> >       * What solutions are used today for cross-system
> >         authentication?
> >       * What are the current issues with today's solutions?
> >       * Do any of your tools support OAuth today? If not, any plans.
> >         If no plans, reasons for not adopting?
> >
> > Feel free to respond or we can talk on Wednesday.
> >

> I believed that OAuth was only about permissions, i.e. authorizations,
> and not about authentication... but I may be wrong... care to clarify,
> anyone ?

Since the terms "authorization" and "authentication" are overloaded, I
think it would be best instead of me trying to describe OAuth here that I
defer to the http://oauth.net site for resources that describe it.

I did not intend to state a subset of OAuth or misrepresent it by saying
"cross-system authentication" as it is not a single-sign on solution.  It
provides a way to authenticate users, then leverage that to authorize
cross-server access.