[Oslc-Automation] Bi-direction Actions/Auto spec dependencies, & action metadata at resource type (shape) level

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 15 08:12:35 EDT 2014

> Which may mean either:
> (1) Core does not provide a way to unambiguously determine which
> concrete action to use for a given future action

s/to use for/corresponds to/

The linkage is _from_ the instantiated "concrete" action back to the
future action (from the specific to the generic, if you like).  The
diagram in Auto 2.1 shows this more clearly than our choice of adjectives
facilitates ... IIRC there was a Matt Smith Dr Who episode where the
linguistic complexities of describing time travel came up in a similar
fashion; if a Time Lord can't figure it out, I give up too.  Look at the
diagram.

> or
> (2) Core is importing part of the Automation spec (not just the
> vocabulary) - which may be a bi-directional dependency.

Myself, I don't remember which bit of scenario led to the inclusion of the
_executes_ predicate in Automation.
I don't remember such requirement from CM 3.0's scenarios (Steve/Sam?).
I don't recall Anamitra's scenarios (what I know of them from offline
discussions) having any such requirement, but I'm meeting with him later
today so I'll poke him in the ribs to chime in either way.  His
code-complete date is past for the thing that's been eating his time.

If this is an Automation-only thing so far, it would be simple enough to
add a sentence to Core.Future's first non-normative note saying that #1 is
the case, and if people have that need they might choose to emulate
Automation's pattern.
If we determine that this is a Core requirement, it would be simple enough
to logically move in into Core from Automation ... meaning re-use the
:executes vocabulary term, and define its usage in Core Actions minus the
part about "the Plan" (let Automation add that onto what Core defines).  I
don't think Auto 2.1 actually cares that the :futureAction predicate uses
an AutoPlan as the subject - it just happens to be true that the subject
will always be of-type AutoPlan because _in the context of the Automation
spec_ that's the only case of interest.  If Auto 2.1 does care about
getting to the Plan from the future Action without actually executing the
action at least once, it's missing a link.

Cloud and Smarter Infrastructure OSLC Lead