[Oslc-Automation] Availability Spec review - my feedback - OSLC Actions - thread 5 Availability Condition (AC)

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed May 14 14:16:34 EDT 2014

TF you had this under AR in your response, but in the original it's under
AC

MP> mttf & mttr: What type of resource?
TF> I wasn't sure if I should use an integer or any other time-related
datatype for this.... ... That's why I thought I'll define it as
AnyResource.

AnyResource does not answer the question even for an integer, it just
inserts 1 level of indirection.  Now, for an integer, it's probably a
duration so it has units if it's expressed as an integer.  Now it's at
least 2 properties (value and units), so making it a resource looks more
obvious.  One option would be to re-use what we did in OSLC Performance
Monitoring (re-used the Estimation and Measurements' vocabulary to express
value + units) and make that resource an ems:Measure (or :Metric?).  If we
go with the "likely to be an ems:"whatever language now, we can always
switch it out later if needed (by adding a second alternative) if new
scenarios drive the need for something more complex.  Can you say: Open
World Assumption (thread 3) ?  ;-)

To really make your heads hurt, think of my "what does read-only=true
mean?" response in thread 1 ... the type is part of the resource shape,
not the vocabulary (Core has discussed whether vocabulary should constrain
it or not).  So it's an expectation, not a guarantee [waves to Tim
cheekily].  I've run into exactly one case so far in which I was actually
glad for this - it saved a breaking change - although I cannot for the
life of me remember the particulars.

Cloud and Smarter Infrastructure OSLC Lead