[Oslc-Automation] Availability Spec review - my feedback

Tim Friessinger TFRIESS at de.ibm.com
Wed May 14 12:26:25 EDT 2014

Hello Martin,
thanks for all your comments!
Here's a first bunch of my answers/ opinions to your comments, the rest
will follow tomorrow morning (I didn't comment on grammatical errors of
course.)

Introduction:

[* - Would this be better to extend Automation, to make best re-use of
Automation's plans?]
You mean writing in the introduction that Availability extends Automation?
I would be fine with that. To be honest I didn't spend to much effort into
the introduction,
because in my opinion its better to write it when the rest is complete.
Otherwise you may have to chance it over and over again, because the rest
of the spec changes. So in my eyes we can place this back until the other
things are more stable.

Terminology:

[* - "Availability condition" - to me, "condition" suggests
"requirement"...]
You got me here. As a non-native English speaker its hard for me to really
grasp what's the best terminology. I used a dictionary to see what it
suggest me for the German word, I would use in this case ("Zustand"), and
the first translation was "condition", followed by "state". So if you
native speakers would suggest another terminology, I would be fine with
that. But it seems like it's difficult for you as well...

Namespaces:

[oslc-avail vs. oslc-availability]
Yes, you are right, I used "avail" because the Automation spec uses "auto".
(And I always mistype myself when I write "Availability"...). I see your
point about the (too) short Namespace URI. I used "av" because the other
specs use these 2 letter acronym. So I thought this is some unwritten
standard. I'm fine changing it into "open-services.net/ns/availability" or
at least in ".../avail".

Availability definitions:

[* - "It is recommended that any additional properties exist in their own
unique namespace and not use the namespaces defined in this specification."
]
Yes, it's copied from the Auto spec. So you suggest to make it a "Any
additional properties should exist in their own unique namespace...". Or
would you completely remove this?

[ + The arrow and name of the relationship between Group and Availability
Resource (AR) appear to disagree with each other. ]
Excellent finding! In a first (unpublished) version I had the "member"
relation from Group to Resource. Now I changed it into memberOf but forgot
to update the diagram.

[. When I first looked at this diagram I wasn't convinced about
Availability Condition (AC) being a separate resource. Having read later it
looks like there can be multiple ACs for an AR, each as a snapshot at a
given timestamp (dcterms:created). Is that the intention? If not, what was
the reasoning behind them being different resources?]
In a first unpublished draft an AR had an actual AC and a history of
previous ACs. So I had to references from AR to AC. A 1:1 ("actual") and a
1:N ("history"). I dropped the history thing for now because I want to keep
things more simple for a start, but I still kept the AC so that its more
easy to add a history in the future.
So in my opinion the AC for an AR is at the moment the actual condition/
state of this resource. The dcterms:created can still be used for example
in the case where the service provider updates the actual condition only at
a specific interval, e.g. every 10 minutes.
The dcterms:created then holds the timestamp of the last update.

[* . I'm not sure dcterms:contributor is the best relation to use for the
link to resources that the AR is affected by. dcterms deifne its raneg as
Agent, which is "A resource that acts or has the power to act. ". Is it
your intention to link to resources that can act on on the AR? As opposed
to ones that the AR acts on? (Or can affect the AR's state not by acting on
it, but merely by changing its own state). The definition in the resource
table further down suggests the usage is correct - the target of the link
is actively acting on the AR. This isn't clear in the diagram whether the
contributor is affecting the AR actively, or merely its state is reflected
in the AR.]
My intention that we have for our System Automation (SA) Service Provider
implementation is to use this link to an Automation Plan, that can change
the state/ condition of an AR. So our "workflow" would be "pick up the AR
you're interested to change its state" -> "use this link to find the
Automation Plan for this AR" -> "Create an Automation Request for this
Plan" -> "When Request is done, the state (AC) of the AR will be changed.".
Of course I need to consider that this is maybe a special scenario for the
SA Service Provider and not of interest for other implementation of the
Availability Spec; so I tried to use a very common link type here, so that
other implementations can use it for their own purpose.
In a first draft I used oslc_rm:affectedBy for this link, but then stumbled
over dcterms:contributor which I thought is maybe a more common link type.
Maybe we can discuss about this in one of the workgroup calls. I'm really
interested to hear your opinions as experts here. :)

AR:
[* + Availability-specific properties: Please create a vocab document (or a
wiki page to use as a draft) to define each of these terms outside the
conext of these particular resource tables. This helps create vocabularies
with more value and reusability, and also helps discover any ways in which
the terms can be improved even inside the scope of the resource tables.]
Ok, makes sense.

[* + oslc_avail:actualCondition: You have read-only set to true. I expect
this is consistent with some other specs, but it's worth considering that
in some scenarios (although admittedly not within our defined scope) might
have the resources stored in a separate repository from the actor who
determines their contents. In that case, they need to be updatable.]
Ok, I didn't considered that. Good point.

[* + oslc_avail:memberOf. Is there a particular reason why the link is
pointing in this direction, and not from the group to the members? It would
seem to me that you might more often want to find all members for a group
(part of the scenario "Obtain redundancy information for workloads" - even
if you do have to start at an AR). If we require looking up of reverse
links, we ought to specify exactly how this is expected to be achieved. I
know it's possible with query capabilities, but we ought to clearly spell
out how, to make implementors lives easier. (Whichever direction the link
goes in we might have to do reverse link lookups, but if the link pointed
in the other direction it would only have to be one, rather than all but
one of the group's members. But then again you have to do the lookup to
find out if it's in a group. Perhaps that was your reasoning, if so you've
probably got the link in the correct direction.)]
I wasn't sure what direction for the link I should take ("memberOf" or
"members"). For the implementation of our SA Service Provider the
"memberOf" is the better solution, because I internally need to query the
data from SA in the same way.
What would you think about introducing both directions, so give the group a
"members"-link and the resources a "memberOf"-link and mark both as
optional, so that a Service Provider can implement what ever direction is
more comfortable for him?

[* + oslc_avail:memberOf: Say in the description "It is expect that the
target of this link will be of type Availability Group (or its sub-type
Redundancy Group), but this is not necessarily the case".]
Do I need to change the range then as well? (It's currently set to
oslc_avail:AvailabilityGroup.)
But to be honest this "but this is not necessarily the case" is one thing I
don't get about OSLC. I mean wouldn't it be nice as someone who implements
a client for the Avail Spec, to be able to trust that the resource behind
this link will be a specific type?
Whenever this "is not necessarily the case", I need to tailor clients to
each implementation of a spec, depending on the real objects behind such a
link...

[* + compoundState. Mention and link to the predefined values in the
description. Can providers provide their own values? If they can, there may
be a better alternative: The Change Management specs found that for their
states it was useful to add in "state predicates" [1]. These are
single-value properties that indicate some semantics of the resource's
current state.e .g. oslc_cm:closed=[true|false] [2]. So in this case we
could define this as oslc_avail:consistentState=[true|false]. If it is
true, you can read either and get the actual state knowing it is also the
desired state. If it's false you can read whichever one you need knowing
that actual & desired are not consistent. (Is this explicitly mentioned in
a scenario? Whenever someone asks about the reasoning behind something, as
I'm doing here, it would be useful to add a note to any applicable scenario
(s)' wiki pages about that reasoning and how it supports that scenario.
[Although I admit I haven't done this in my work on the Actions spec.]) See
comment below in "Predefined properties" section about warning/problem
distinction. (If we still want that distinction, but also wanted to use
state predicates, we could have a second one for the "problem" state...
maybe).]
System Automation for z/OS has a compound state which is "calculated" out
of the current and the desired state of a resource. There are several
possible values for this compound state in SA z/OS. So for a SA z/OS
Availability Service Provider, more than something
like [true|false] is necessary. So in my eyes (since I have a concrete
example), it would be necessary for providers to provide/ specify their own
values. (I mentioned this in the section "Availability Provider
Sub-Domains", but this is maybe not the best place for it.)

[* + mttf & mttr: What type of resource? Options probably include: using an
integer, not resource, and specifying units in spec. Or using (hopefully
re-using) some existing time-period resource that can specify its own
units.]
I wasn't sure if I should use an integer or any other time-related datatype
for this. I wasn't sure if there are scenarios where MTTR et.al. can be
expressed in another value than a time-unit/ interval etc. That's why I
thought I'll define it as AnyResource.

Availability Group (AG):
[* + dcterms:modified: Do we want to make it explicit that new members
added to the group update this? (As they don't add any new triples to this
group resource, so it may not by default.) What about changes to resources
- I guess they don't update this timestamp - do we want to make that
explicit?]
I must admit that I haven't thought deeply about this property of the AG. I
initially thought that this field is updated whenever the AC is updated.
But that is a redundant information, since AC itself has a
modified-property.
So yes, it's a good idea to update this field only if the group changed
like members added/ removed or the SLA has changed etc. (And not if the AC
has changed!)
Do you think its enough to describe this in the properties description or
do we need to use another property for this (maybe define an own one)?

[* + AEC: Does the HRG AEC have an RDF vocab/representation? If so, can we
link to it? If not, how is this represented?]
My intention was to introduce a property here, that "in a very abstract
way" describes the "availability purpose/ intention" behind a group. A
property, that can be used by most Service Providers that implement the
Availability Spec.
So I googled if there is maybe some kind of official definition for "high
availability". The AEC is the only one I stumbled across, so I thought it
would be maybe a nice idea to add it as an own property. I'm pretty sure
they don't have a vocab or something else.
We should discuss this; for example I also have not really an idea if this
could cause somehow copyright problems?

[* . currentlyActive: This predicate name doesn't indicate "count". I'd
prefer something like "currentlyActiveCount" or "numberActive" or (to find
a verb form) "hasActiveMembers" (note the trailing "s" - if it were linking
to a currently active member, it would not have an "s", so this "S" could
[very] subtly suggest that it is a count. But I don't like this one much,
due to that being very subtle.)]
Let's consider we introduce the members-property, pointing from a group to
its members. In this case this might be a redundant field, because you can
count the active members "easily" by iterating through all members and
count the active ones.
(For an SA Service Provider this is very expensive query, that also the
reason I've chose the memberOf-link.) But what is the general "OSLC way"
here to do things? Is this kind of "redundancy" a problem?

[* + Should this be an rdfs:subClassOf Availability Group. i.e. why is it
"often" an AG, not always? (Admittedly, I think we can always add
subClassOf in future, but removing it would be harder).]
In my eyes an Availability Group is always also an Availability Resource,
so yes, the subClassOf would be a good thing here.

[* . "maxActiveTarget", "minActiveTarget". Who is this a target for? Is
this what the provider is trying to achieve, or could this be instructions
to a consumer to start/stop members to meet this target? Could it be
either, or do we want to specify one?]
Maybe I've chosen the wrong wording here, maybe "goal" is better? The
intention for this property is to describe in the context of high
availability, how many members of a group should be kept up and running to
fulfil whatever availability-goal this group has.

...to be continued...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Tim Friessinger

System Automation for z/OS Development
IBM Software Group, Tivoli
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany

 Phone:            49-7031-16-2535                IBM Deutschland                            (Embedded
                                                                                           image moved
                                                                                              to file:
                                                                                         pic26475.gif)

 E-Mail:           tfriess at de.ibm.com             Schoenaicher Str. 220

                                                  71032 Boeblingen

                                                  Germany

 IBM Deutschland
 Research &
 Development
 GmbH /
 Vorsitzende des
 Aufsichtsrats:
 Martina Koederitz
 Geschäftsführung:
 Dirk Wittkopp
 Sitz der
 Gesellschaft:
 Böblingen /
 Registergericht:
 Amtsgericht
 Stuttgart, HRB
 243294

             Martin P
             Pain/UK/IBM at IBMGB
             08.05.2014 15:41          oslc-automation at open-services.net,
                                       Juergen Holtz/Germany/IBM at IBMDE,
                                       Tim Friessinger/Germany/IBM at IBMDE
                                                                        cc
                                       John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM at IBMUS
                                                                   Subject
                                       Availability Spec review - my
                                       feedback

Here is my feedback on the original OSLC Availablility draft spec pdf (
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/Availability-Specification/)

Key to my feedback notations:
* - A minor point, indicated by a leading hyphen/minus sign. (In grey in
the original HTML email)
* . A medium-level point, indicated by a leading period/dot.
* + An important point, indicated by a leading plus sign.
* . "In quotes, -deleted- words are in red strikethrough with a hyphen
either side , _inserted_ words are in green underline, with an underscore
either side (in the original HTML email - which I believe you can find in a
link in the archives)."

Here is my feedback. I suggest discussing this via e-mail, as getting as
many point as possible sorted via e-mail should be more efficient than on
the call. Anything contentious or that requires in-depth discussion can be
discussed at the meeting next week. There are lots here, including many
minor ones. Hopefully they're useful. Feel free to question anything
(anyone). There are a couple of questions aimed at John Arwe for
clarification - these are makred with "John" in bold.

Editorial comments:
* - The wiki page doesn't need to be "workgroup only".

Introduction:
* - Would this be better to extend Automation, to make best re-use of
Automation's plans?
* - To be able to describe a system that is (highly) available

Terminology:
* - "Availability condition" - to me, "condition" suggests
"requirement" (e.g. boolean expression, if-statement). However, on Googling
it, the sense of "state, situation" does come out as the primary
definition, so I won't make a fuss. "State"/"Status" would also have its
problems (sense of state-machine versus wider condition). I've just
mentioned it to make sure you've thought about the possible ambiguity when
looking at the term "availability condition" when not next to its
definition as it is in this section.
* - "Recommended as a specialization of an Availability Group." (also for
"...of an Availability Resource")

Compliance:
* . Footnote 4: "3Support for all HTTP methods for all -automation-
_availability_ resources is not required "

Namespaces:
* - I expect John would suggest "oslc-availability" for the standard
prefix, but oslc_avail is more consistent with Automation 2. I don't mind
either way.
* . I would suggest something longer in the namespace URI though, perhaps:
http://open-services.net/ns/availability# I know other specs used very
short forms, but that caused problems with "Configuration management"
versus "change management", and I believe the more recent convention is to
use a longer string in the URI. Consistency here isn't important, as the
URI is repeated less than the prefix.

Availability definitions:
* - "It is recommended that any additional properties exist in their own
unique namespace and not use the namespaces defined in this specification."
- I expect this was copied from Automation, but this could be a stronger
requirement. It would be bad practice to define properties in the
namespaces defined in this specification without the agreement of the
working group or technical committee responsible for maintaining the
namespace. (A few paragraphs down we make it a SHOULD - I guess that's the
same as "recommended" in prose).
* + The arrow and name of the relationship between Group and Availability
Resource (AR) appear to disagree with each other. Either the group is
pointing to a resource as a "member", or the resource should be pointing to
the group(s) it is a "memberOf". In the resource tables it suggests that
the link is pointing from the AR to the Group.
[...]

Resource: AR
* - dcterms:description "Descriptive text (reference: Dublin Core) about
_the_ resource"
* + Availability-specific properties: Please create a vocab document (or a
wiki page to use as a draft) to define each of these terms outside the
conext of these particular resource tables. This helps create vocabularies
with more value and reusability, and also helps discover any ways in which
the terms can be improved even inside the scope of the resource tables.
* + oslc_avail:actualCondition: You have read-only set to true. I expect
this is consistent with some other specs, but it's worth considering that
in some scenarios (although admittedly not within our defined scope) might
have the resources stored in a separate repository from the actor who
determines their contents. In that case, they need to be updatable.
John: What does "read-only" technically mean here? The most important
question here for this version is: would changing the read-only flag for a
property in a subsequent version cause any problems? And is a provider
non-compliant if they allow it to be written? If not, I'm happy to leave
it, as it can always be changed if anyone raises a scenario for those
cases.
[...]

Resource: AC
[...]
* + desiredState & currentState. Mention and link to the predefined values
in the description. Say whether provider-specific values are allowed.
* - If provider-specific state values are allowed (which might be a good
idea to support extensibility) then we might want to consider state
predicates for online, offline, stopping and starting. On the one hand this
isn't required by the existing scenarios, but on the other hand it provides
most flexibility going forwards.
* + mttf & mttr: What type of resource? Options probably include: using an
integer, not resource, and specifying units in spec. Or using (hopefully
re-using) some existing time-period resource that can specify its own
units.

Resource: Availability Group
* + dcterms:created -remove "The point in time this condition has
occurred."
* + dcterms:modified: Do we want to make it explicit that new members added
to the group update this? (As they don't add any new triples to this group
resource, so it may not by default.) What about changes to resources - I
guess they don't update this timestamp - do we want to make that explicit?
* + AEC: Does the HRG AEC have an RDF vocab/representation? If so, can we
link to it? If not, how is this represented?
* . currentlyActive: This predicate name doesn't indicate "count". I'd
prefer something like "currentlyActiveCount" or "numberActive" or (to find
a verb form) "hasActiveMembers" (note the trailing "s" - if it were linking
to a currently active member, it would not have an "s", so this "S" could
[very] subtly suggest that it is a count. But I don't like this one much,
due to that being very subtle.)
* + John: Can range be used like this?
* + SLA: Mention and link to the predefined values in the description. Say
whether provider-specific values are allowed.

Resource: Redundancy Group
* + Should this be an rdfs:subClassOf Availability Group. i.e. why is it
"often" an AG, not always? (Admittedly, I think we can always add
subClassOf in future, but removing it would be harder).
* . "maxActiveTarget", "minActiveTarget". Who is this a target for? Is this
what the provider is trying to achieve, or could this be instructions to a
consumer to start/stop members to meet this target? Could it be either, or
do we want to specify one?
* . "redundancyCapability: Description: Starting with "Information
about..." makes it sound, to me, like it's going to be a resource. Perhaps
"An indication of level of redundancy provided by this group." might be
more fitting for an integer value.
* + synchronizationType: Mention and link to the predefined values in the
description. Say whether provider-specific values are allowed.

Resource: Redundancy Member
* + Again, same question about subClassOf.
* + redundancyRole: Mention and link to the predefined values in the
description. Say whether provider-specific values are allowed.

Sub-domains:
* + No subdomains are explicitly defined.
* + If we only want vendor-specific sub-domains, should we specify an
rdf:Class to use as the rdf:type value of the resource at the target of the
sub-domains identifier URI, so generic consumers can identify which URIs
identify Availability sub-domains? (i.e. This would be used in the vocab
documents that define those sub-domain URIs).
* + In the example, a value is used for "System Automation for z/OS"
sub-domain. (1) This value isn't defined in this spec (at least not that
I've seen so far) so shouldn't use this spec's namespace. An example.com
namespace would be appropriate for an example value. (2) If we want to use
this value in IBM implementations (I presume we do) then it's still in the
wrong namespace. It's a vendor-specific term, so I'd suggest it would be
better in an ibm.com or jazz.net namespace (the latter is Rational-owned,
but has an existing process for publishing public RDF vocab documents, so
might be the path of least resistance). As far as the WG should be
concerned: it's a vendor-specific term, discuss it inside the vendor.
(Well, that's my opinion). We can always provide a list of links to known
vendor-specific terms in an informative section of the spec.
* + "Depending on the sub-domain, an OSLC client can expect predefined
values for the following attributes". Without defining any specific
sub-domains, I'm not sure this communicates much information. Do you mean
"Sub-domains may specify what sub-set of these predicates they use"? Or
maybe "Sub-domains may specify which values they support for each of these
properties"?

Creation Factories/Query Capabilities:
* - "at least one Creation Factor_y_-ies- entry" (perhaps use the qualified
name for the type or predicate)
* - "at least one Query Capabilit_y_-ies- entry" (ditto)
* + "SHOULD support the oslc.properties syntax " SHOULD should be bold.

Delegated UIs:
* + RedundancyMember is missing from table
* . I'd suggest "SHOULD" for AR, AG, RG and RM selection dialogs, as I
expect UI-based clients will really want to use these. Creation dialogs
might not be appropriate for all providers, so MAY seems appropriate for
them.

Predefined properties:
* + These are individuals (values), not properties.The sub-headings are ok,
as they are the properties that the values are for, but the to-level
"Predefined properties" heading seems wrong to me.
* + I know Automation uses a lower-case initial letter for its states, but
I believe the current convention for these sorts of URIs ("individuals") is
to use an initial capital. e.g.
http://open-services.net/ns/availability#Offline.
* . These URIs will point to resources defined in the Availability vocab
document. Should they have a particular rdf:Class for their rdf:type
property, to identify what they are values of/for?
* . Some of these values might be appropriate for contribution to the
Common IT Resource Vocabulary:
http://open-services.net/wiki/reconciliation/Common-IT-Resource-Type-Vocabulary-Version-2.0/
 (On the other hand, as all of the properties and values in this spec
relate to resources, and specifically to their availability, perhaps we
should keep them in a separate Availability namespace, but have that linked
from the Common IT Resource Vocabulary, sort of as a sub-vocabulary.)
* . compountState: Does "warning" mean "currentState does not match
desiredState, but may do at some time in the [near] future" and "problem"
mean "they do not match, and the attempt to move to the desired state
failed and cannot be [automatically] retried"? The description for
"problem" suggests that, but what warning says - "the availablity resource
is still usable" - seems to me to be orthogonal to whether or not it meets
its desired state. It's usable if the currentState is "online", and not
usable if it's any other state, right? I'd suggest letting compoundState
just say whether or not the currentState matches the desiredState
(yes/ok/match, or no/doesn't match. possibly with a "may match soon"/"in
progress" option), and currentState say whether or not the resource is
usable or not. Perhaps this was your intention, in which case I think the
"warning" value needs a better description- and perhaps renaming to
"InProgress" or "Changing".
* . Service Level Properties: Are these properties or values? If values how
do these relate to the predicates of the same name?
* . redundancyRole: If there is only ever one master, would it be better
for this to be a property on the redundancy Group pointing to the master?

HTTP method support:
* + Availability Component = Availablility Resource? Or = {AR, AG, RG, RM}?

[1]
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#State_Predicates
[2] Approx 2 pages down from:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#Resource_ChangeRequest

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
OASIS Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation technical
committee chair

 E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com                                                                              (Embedded image moved to file:
 Find me on: (Embedded image moved to file: pic03297.jpg)LinkedIn:                                                        pic10528.gif)IBM
 http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=99869908 and within IBM on: (Embedded image moved to file:
 pic00838.jpg)IBM Connections:
 https://w3-connections.ibm.com/profiles/html/profileView.do?userid=12c849c0-ddd5-1030-9b5f-d70a3a891b7f

IBM United Kingdom Limited