[Oslc-Automation] Optional property proposal: Progress Indication

Schlick Rupert Rupert.Schlick at ait.ac.at
Fri May 9 13:29:45 EDT 2014

Dear Automation Workgroup,

while working on implementing automation providers, we came up with the idea of giving a progress indication for asynchronous execution (while in state inProgress). This could be done by giving a completion percentage or an "estimated time of arrival". For an automation consumer, it might be interesting to get that information and in my view, it would make sense to have this standardized as optional, but predefined  fields.

Sorry for barging in like that - if there is a better place to drop feedback/ideas from "specification users", please advise me. We are working on some tools acting as automation providers, but I'm not in a position to join the workgroup as a contributing member.

As feedback to your excellent work on the specs:
>From "outside" the 2.1 draft looks very good, but gets increasingly harder to grasp.

I'm a bit concerned that both the automation specification and OSLC as a whole is growing at a speed and in a form, where the original goal of simplicity and sticking to what is necessary for or needed by most applications, is not fulfilled anymore. (Although I admit it is paradox to state that in an email where I'm actually asking for additional features).

Best regards

Rupert Schlick

--
Rupert Schlick
Scientist

AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
Donau-City-Straße 1  |  1220 Vienna  | Austria
T +43(0) 50550-4124  |  F +43(0) 50550-4150
rupert.schlick at ait.ac.at<mailto:rupert.schlick at ait.ac.at>  |  http://www.ait.ac.at<http://www.ait.ac.at/>

FN: 115980 i HG Wien  |  UID: ATU14703506
http://www.ait.ac.at/Email-Disclaimer