[Oslc-Automation] first cut at split of auto request from fixed body is live

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Mon Mar 24 10:47:32 EDT 2014

> I revised the text in the direction Martin suggested

Looks better.

What about 202? Would you say that's an exception to the "interpret that
to mean that the action ran successfully", as HTTP defines to to mean
accepted for later processing? Do you intend "Single-message interaction
pattern definitions SHOULD avoid other interpretations." to imply that if
pointing to an implementation that might return 202, then the action is of
the type "queue X for processing" rather than "process X"?

Why the bold text? The emphasis doesn't appear to add much.

> Q1:  are we going to switch to parameter instance or not?   I
> drafted everything using the words as they are now, i.e.
> ContentFromRepresentation.

My memory is that the consensus was favourable to the change. That is, yes
I believe we are going to change.

> Q2:  should we define ContentFromRepresentation (or its successor,
> if one arises) as a subclass of cnt:Content ?  The HTTP in RDF
> vocabulary asserts that body's range is cnt:Content.

If we were staying with ContentFromRepresentation I'd say yes, but if we
change to parameter instance I'm not sure it buys us anything.

> Q3: are we going to change the Automation Request pattern's
> recognition rule (more generally, all the red or red-bracketed
> content recently drafted)?

I votes yes, going to the red text (where ContentFromRepresentation is
removed).

> Q4: the immediate action dialog binding looks a bit odd, insofar as
> it has type=Dialog and usage=ActionDialog (which looks a bit like a
> subtype), vs the other dialogs' usage values of Immediate and
> Deferred.  I don't see anything (at a quick glance) stopping us from
> either re-using the Immediate usage vocabulary term that Automation
> 2.1 defines, or changing ActionDialog to be a type (although doing
> so Might conflict with Deferred or Automation 2.0 behavior, I'd have
> to check), or changing ActionDialog's name to be a further Hamming
> distance way from the Action and Dialog types.  I can live with
> "looks a little odd" myself, if everyone else is content to stop
> fussing with it.

Immediate means "queued, but immediately eligible for execution", whereas
ActionDialog implies "synchronous" or, perhaps more accurately,
"single-'message' interaction pattern". So we can't reuse Immediate,
unless there's something else to distinguish these two cases.

I think I originally drafted it as a subtype, but then changed it to
usage. I can't remember exactly why.

> Q5: how are we going to use the ODT content going forward, and who's
> going to do any work required?

I was intending to update that and work it in to an appendix or examples
or scenarios page. I won't be able to do this before next week at the
earliest.

> Q6: Apropos the recent discussion about single vs multi-message
> patterns, I'm not sure what the expectation is on Creation Factory
> in Automation 2.1. ... if I get a 200 or 201 there, as a client am I
> *required* to look anywhere else for the "goal" status or is the
> HTTP message status code always identical to the goal status?  2.1
> points to Core, and Core allows either mode by my reading.  I'd be
> tempted to say that CF's used in a binding MUST declare their
> "style" via a usage value of Immediate or Deferred.  Any other
> values, including none, could not be recognized as using the CF IP.

We had discussed making the CF pattern AutoRequest-specific. If we do
that, we can then follow the same semantics as the AR pattern.

However, I like the idea of explicitly stating whether it's a
single-message flow, or a multi-message-immediately-eligible, or a
multi-message-deferred-execution. (Probably via two prodicates, one can
set SingleMessage or MultiMessage [where the former could replace
ActionDialog above], and the other - in the case of Automation and
MultiMessage - can specify Immediately
[immediately-eligible-for-execution] or Deferred [not eligible for
execution] - if this second one is ever appropriate.)

> Q7:  Auto 2.1's immediate bindings section is silent on whether or
> not CF is valid; this answer likely flows from Q6's answer.

I'll wait until the discussion on Q6 has progressed.

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited

"Oslc-Automation" <oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on