[Oslc-Automation] Actions 2.0 oslc:ContentFromRepresentation

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 18 12:40:06 EDT 2014

One thing I noticed as I was preparing to do some of the cleanup work ...
I think it's down to the list at bottom ... is
oslc:ContentFromRepresentation, which to first order we're just using as a
"type, value" pair.  I.e. it's only "real" property is rdf:value, which
allows any object.  That's a pattern I've seen before, with the addition
of 'name', in OSLC Automation [1].

What does the WG think about ditching oslc:ContentFromRepresentation and
re-using the Automation vocabulary term ParameterInstance in its place?

Pros (that I see): re-use instead of defining-new (DRY principle).

Cons (...):  We lose the ability to get an "exact" semantic fit with
Actions' needs that we would get by defining our own snowflake-special
term.  (Not that anyone's code will really care.)

Separate point: Steve mentioned (in the context of Auto 2.1 Appendix D
Changes) the possibility of reviewing vocabulary terms somewhat separately
from their context.  Having just fixed a number of typos/etc in that RDFS,
I've come to believe that we should do that, but I don't think we need any
new artifacts to do so.  Let's just plan on really scrutinizing the
vocabulary while we wait for comments (from Core et al.) on 2.1, using the
HTML as the "context free" review material.  I've found that it's pretty
obvious when something that's really shape-specific was propagated from
wiki to RDFS, since we've not been very careful about separating the
layers to date.

Actions 2.0 net outstanding items:
- resource shapes (as wiki text and/or RDF)
- updating examples to match current text
- the "split" of fixed body from auto request
- vocabulary documents (which, in Core's case, might be just oslc:binding
if we re-use ParameterInstance as proposed above; the Automation
vocabulary docs are done AFAIK now).