[Oslc-Automation] [oslc-cm] Some comments on Actions spec (most from CM perspective)

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Tue Mar 4 09:37:09 EST 2014

Right, I see. Either that second action needs rdf:type
oslc:StateTransitionAction or it is stating a side-effect not an
intention/desire.

So I think we can choose between:
1. Re-using oslc_auto:desiredState, where (as it would be defined in the
vocab) it is either specified by the consumer (as in Automation Results)
or used by the consumer to choose an Action to execute, but it should not
be used to state side-effects.
or
2. Use a new predicate that can be used for either stating side-effects or
stating primary intended changes.

In the former case, I can think of no more examples as to why we need the
rdf:type value, but is limiting its further re-use because it relies on
the definition of what is or is not a "side-effect".
In the latter case, I think my argument still stands (for the moment) that
we would need the rdf:type oslc:StateTransitionAction so that we expect
that to be the primary change.

In either case it would be hard to define it such that an implementation
is non-compliant if they provided an Action where a consumer inferred that
the only change was a state transition, but in actual fact was some
greater process that resulting in a state transition as a side-effect.
(Even if we defined on StateTransitionAction that "the state transition is
the primary change, although it may have side-effects of its own, but
StateTransitionAction should not be used when the state transition is the
side-effect of something else" - I think this is too wishy-washy to
definitively determine if a particular implementation is compliant or
not).

So I don't care any more.

John, if it's not used for side-effects, only primary changes, do you have
any problems with using oslc_auto:desiredState?
Steve, do you have any preference between 1 and 2 above, or see any
difference between them at all? Or anyone else?

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited

"Oslc-Automation" <oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on