[Oslc-Automation] Summary of Availability Discussion in WG meeting yesterday - Martin's notes

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 18 11:20:39 EDT 2014

> > (2) compoundState - replace with/ additionally introduce
consistentState
> We also realised that one option for (2) would be to treat
> compoundState the same way as currentState, that is: the same way as
> (We could also clarify that point in the Automation 2.0 spec by
> adding an example of it.)

Now live at [1] (I was in there for other actions); search on any part of
after-manual-intervention

> whichever way rounf this link is, we will still need to rely on either:
> a) using the query capability to follow the links in the reverse
direction, or
> b) saying providers MUST put the triples in both resources' graphs
> (but I expect some pro-named-graphs LD-purists would hate that - but
> personally I don't mind)

+1 to laying out the client's steps (and with refs to where each step is
sanctioned as safe by specs - aka following one's nose)
wrt a, it should be true that oslc query syntax allows this already.  I
have not verified however, so a good test.  As long as it allows
specifying a triple pattern < *, p, o> it should work, since in this
bottom-up case the subject is the member's uri (which varies by member)
and it's o (the container's uri) that's constant.

wrt b, now I have to clean up the mess on my shoes.
[ahem:] Interface specifications have no business constraining aspects of
implementation unrelated to the interface ... like, where or how things
are stored behind the interface.  You could say that "it must appear to
clients that ...", as long as the implementation is free to do whatever it
wants behind the scenes, and as long as you can get people to agree to
whatever ... is.
IIRC duplicating links in multiple places is counter to Core Link Guidance
as well (at the interface level - and since we don't typically attempt to
constrain implementations, CLG is silent on what the implementation does).

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Version-2.0-Samples/

Cloud and Smarter Infrastructure OSLC Lead