[Oslc-Automation] Isues in Automation 2.1 draft: oslc_auto:futureAction is not defined

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 16 08:53:22 EDT 2014

> The type of the resource on which this predicate is used determines
when, and on which resource(s), the executable form of the action is
available.

That seems like a closed-world assumption at work.  We cannot know today,
for example, every use that anyone will come up with for future actions on
Automation Plans.
These kinds of semantics are composed in via the specification(s) being
implemented, no?  Which means, in effect, that the client has to know
which domain the resource on which the link is found belongs to, or be
willing to guess and accept the consequences of potentially being wrong.

To be more precise:
- client receives URL-1, which it GETs and finds to be of type T1
- if this happens via earlier client requests whose follow-your-nose path
passes through an OSLC Service Provider
-- then the client already knows which domain(s) (and via the domain
and/or usage URIs, which spec(s)) govern
-- else if URL-1 has an oslc:serviceProvider predicate and its object has
an oslc:domain URI
--- same as above ... client has the domain/spec context(s)
--- else client has insufficient information to be certain what's in play
---- if the client chooses to make assumptions (ala content sniffing in
Web space)
----- the client takes its chances, it's right or wrong, and what happens
happens
----- else the client can only use the semantics from the predicate by
which it obtained URL-1, i.e. from that predicate's vocabulary document

I did leave out the case where the client (lacking sufficient information
to proceed) scans through "all" service providers looking for a collection
that gives it the domain/usage context it needs; it's technically
possible, I simply doubt people will do it in practice because of scaling
and performance concerns.

BTW, I also updated the issue; vocabulary document edits also needed. I'll
handle them once the text is settled.

Cloud and Smarter Infrastructure OSLC Lead