[Oslc-Automation] The words "potentially consumable" (was: review of actions 2.0 - Part II (1-3) : Typos, clarifications)

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Thu Aug 7 05:45:48 EDT 2014

(I've made sure that my two responses to the review have gone to core,
automation and Ian directly. I have suggested to him to make sure he is
subscribed to this list.)

Re "potentially consumable" (points numbered according to the numbers in
John's email):

1 - compatibility of interaction patterns:
I think the later sentence "If at least one of the bindings is compatible
with this consumer, then the action is compatible with this consumer."
covers the issue of compatibility, so I don't think we need the words
"potentially consumable" in the earlier point to cover that case.

2 - filtering actions to display:
I think the later sentence "Do whatever the client is coded to do" covers
the issue of the the consumer deciding whether to display them or not.

(Note that we have another typo: we ought to substitute "client" with
"consumer" in that sentence.)

3 - user not selecting them:
As you have said, they are already "consumed".

4 - others:
"Do whatever the client is coded to do" probably covers anything - the
client can do anything with them.

So I suggest the words "potentially consumable" are unneeded. Unless, John
, you suggest that your cases (or other unknowns may still need them) then
I propose that we remove them.

Ian, does this cover your concerns about talking about "consuming"
actions, or does this word occur elsewhere where it is undefined what it
means to "consume" an action? All the other occurrences seem to talk about
"consumers", which is defined, so I expect removing this one phrase will
address your comment. Is this true?

(However, the definition of consumer does talk say they use oslc:Actions
"to execute that action using its action bindings" - and I've already said
there's potentially a problem with the word "execute".)

Potential changes: