[Oslc-Automation] Final changes (hopefully) for Actions spec: desiredResult -> finalStatusLocation

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 17 09:31:32 EDT 2014

My take is that deferred execution has one "final result" *per phase
instance* (blech on the term, I know).  The client has to know how to find
the config phase result (was the template created), *and* it has to know
(at a later point in time) how to find the result of the executing the plan
each time (execution phase).  1 config phase : n execution phase
"instances", too.  The immediate execution bindings handle the latter I
think, so config phase is what's left.
It is true that this doesn't play as nicely with the statement that the
desired result is executing the action (once, by implication).  If we want
to stick with this definition, the alternative I see would be to say the
config phase is simply not part of executing the action ... maybe we call
that a separate process entirely, whose result is an optional input to the
action-execution process.  That's conceptually reasonable.  If the deferred
execution dialog adheres to Core's documented pattern for delegated
creation dialogs, which I think it does (the "deferred" bit is really a way
of turning an *auto request* creation dialog ... which has additional
non-core semantics ... back into a pure-Core creation dialog), then there
is no ambiguity about where that result is found (or Core has a bug).  Core
doesn't assign a URI to that pattern (today), so we could choose to fix it
for all deferred dialogs (which IIRC are already essentially
Automation-specific) or we could choose to mint a new URI if we believe
there is a strong need to allow it to vary (and hence be discoverable at
run time).

I'm agnostic on which choice we make, functionallly.  My inner minimalist
leans towards pointing in text to Core, done.