[Oslc-Automation] Final changes (hopefully) for Actions spec: desiredResult -> finalStatusLocation

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Wed Apr 16 06:39:30 EDT 2014

The changes I've made are:

1. I renamed oslc:desiredResult to oslc:finalStatusLocation, as it
identifies a location, not a result itself, and it does not necessarily
tell you the desired result, just whether or not that was achieved, and
also to emphasise the idea that it is the final status of the action, not
an intermediate one. (So even when used with the value http:StatusCode
it's saying "the only HTTP status is the final status".) [1] [2] and also
in the Automation 2.1 spec: [3] [4]

Most of the other changes flow from this:

2. I introduced the term "final status" in the text of the "interaction
patterns" section. [1]

3. I made it clear that the values we provide are to be used as URIs (i.e.
not as rdf:types on a resource which is the object of
oslc:finalStatusLocation) - this involved both additional text before the
list of values we provide [1], plus a change to the 'resource shape' table
[2].

4. I allowed multiple values for oslc:finalStatusLocation ([1], [2]), in
case the final status is reflected in more than one place (to allow future
interaction patterns to aid backwards-compatibility/interoperability by
using one of the values we define here (e.g. http:StatusCode) alongside a
future one that may give more detail (along the lines of
oslc-automatino:AutomationResult). This also required an update in each of
the recognition rules to say "at least one oslc:finalStatusLocation
value..." rather than "the oslc:finalStatusLocation value..".

5. I included a note as to why these aren't implied by the interaction
patterns - why they're in the RDF & recognition rule, using the example of
an AutomationRequest that is always synchronous and (in the case of a
specific provider) also reports the status of the execution in the HTTP
status code.

These are all along the same lines as what was there before, so I do not
see any problems with including these changes. I know John is not against
renaming this predicate, and I have dicussed the new name with Umberto. If
there are any problems, please let me know. I've updated the examples &
diagrams, and now I intend to send a request to the core WG to review the
spec.

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-resources/#Interaction-patterns
[2]
http://open-services.net/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-resources/#Request-Properties
[3]
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Specification-Version-2.1/#pattern-autoreq-creation-factory
[4]
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Specification-Version-2.1/#Template-Dialog-interaction-pattern

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited