[Oslc-Automation] first cut at split of auto request from fixed body is live

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Fri Apr 4 09:03:40 EDT 2014

All,

> - Added words to the "not always single message" IPs (i.e.
> Automation-based ones) saying how the client determines "status of
> its goal", but otherwise left it based on Core CF.
> Please review - I'd like to put the "enter convergence/ask for Core
> review" item on next meeting's agenda, since I fully expect to have
> examples and diagrams caught up this week.

I tweaked the wording to:

The client's goal is to execute the Automation Request, not just to create
it. The status of this goal is determined using the corresponding
Automation Result's [state and verdict
properties](#State-and-Verdict-properties), as would be the case
with any other Automation Request, not by using the HTTP status codes.
[Automation permits
both](#Asynchronous-and-Synchronous-Automation-Execution)
single-message and multiple-message interactions, but the client **MUST**
use
the state and verdict for determining the [status of the client's
goal](/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-resources/#Interaction-patterns)
when the HTTP status codes indicate that the creation was successful.

(Clarified what the client's goal is, moved "determining" before the link,
and clarified what the HTTP status codes are indicating, in contrast to
"the client's goal". Also made it a separate paragraph.)

(An alternative with fewer changes could be:

The status of the client's goal is determined using the corresponding
Automation Result's [state and verdict
properties](#State-and-Verdict-properties), as would be the case with any
other Automation Request.  [Automation permits
both](#Asynchronous-and-Synchronous-Automation-Execution)
single-message and multiple-message interactions, but the client **MUST**
use the state and verdict for determining the [status of the client's
goal](/wiki/core/Exposing-arbitrary-actions-on-RDF-resources/#Interaction-patterns)
when the HTTP status codes indicate that the creation was successful.)

> - Changed "creation factory IP" to be ONLY a "automation CF IP" ...
> the general Core IP would contain ambiguities, and we only need this
> constrained form, so KISSed it.

Looking at this, I don't like the fact that there's nothing that a later
definition of a CF IP in Core could point at to say "when the CF bindings
match X, it is a multi-message IP, and the subsequent messages are defined
by other specifications (link to Automation)".

Having talked about this with John, we suggest we have a way (in core) to
identify how IPs report the status of the action (that is, of the
consumer's goal), so we have something in scope of core that doesn't tie
us into the same sort of problem that we already have with the
creation-tied-to-execution semantics? (the
oslc-automation:DeferredExecution/ImediateExecution wouldn't be enough, as
both of them are multi-message patterns.)

How our existing IPs report the action's status:
The 3 HTTP IPs = the HTTP status code
delegated UI for immediate execution = status code + oslc:result
Auto req = Automation result status
Delegated UI for deferred execution: config phase = del UI oslc:results +
GET status; execution phase depends on the immed exec binding
AutoReq CF (sic) = Automation result status

So the HTTP IPs would include in their recognition rule something like "at
least one oslc:interactionStatus property MUST have the value
http:StatusCode", and then define (possibly through referring to another
section or an appendix) what each status code means (currently listed in
Appendix A, I believe)

Other than that everything looks good.

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited

"Oslc-Automation" <oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on