[Oslc-Automation] Synchronous execution

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 13 13:10:02 EDT 2013

Simple answer, my reading is that either representation is allowed; I
think that is in line with the authors' intent (speaking as one of them,
and as the motivator/advocate for this style in 2.0).  The implementation
I am familiar with using this style uses the second form (multityping).

"always 404" allowed?  yes.  2.0 does not specifically encourage this
behavior, but again it is allowed by what is said.  Indeed it must be by
some reckonings, otherwise server implementations would be constrained
from ever garbage-collecting old resources even if failing to do so
crashed said servers.

> If that is true, then is the URI still needed in the RDF in order to
have a value to set for the oslc_auto:producedByAutomationRequest
property,

That property is 0:1 in the spec, so (definitionally) I think the answer
is no URI is required; could be a blank node.
If both are present and have different values (that is: the "create
AutoRequest  response is or contains both an AutoRequest and an
AutoResult, all components of the response have URIs, *and* this predicate
has a different URI than any of the preceding"), then I think the server
is providing an inconsistent response and I (as a client) would treat that
as an error if I detected it.  A simple client would probably assume that
any AutoResult contained in the response message was "the AutoResult", and
would expect to dereference its URI (if any) in cases where the
AutoResult's state/verdict are still changing (exact conditions noted in
2.0 spec).

> or if an automation request also has an rdf:type property set to
oslc_auto:AutomationResult, is it valid to assume that that is the result
for that request?

I don't recall the 2.0 spec explicitly saying if such an assumption MUST
be made, SHOULD be made, or MAY be made.  Many specs (including OSLC) are
silent on some cases, sometimes intentfully and sometimes via simple
omission.  Writing single specs usable by providers (who often want to
know Only What I Must Do) and consumers (What Can I Rely On) is a
balancing act, and one form of response is the existence of companion
documents like the Primer.   In those cases, the common strategy is to
mostly limit the normative spec to what providers need to know, and expand
upon that (and its implications) in the informative companion documents. I
think this is what Automation attempts, although I freely admit energy to
flesh out the informative material wanes ... as you will no doubt find
when following the link below.

> useful to explicitly mention the situation where the request and
response are the same resource, and probably include an example too.
Fine candidate for
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-Primer-2.0/#Synchronous-scenarios
.  Should be able to point to the ibm.com manuals on the Jazz for Service
Management Resource Registry (part of Registry Services) for the
multityped case, too.  The Primer should not be access-controlled, so you
can just edit and point the list at it for reviews.