[Oslc-Automation] Teardown scenarios example: Service virtualization

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jun 11 06:51:43 EDT 2013

I have added a new example to the teardown scenarios wiki page, regarding
using "service virtualization" during automated testing:
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/Temporary-deployment:-Service-virtualization-example/

This is the example that we wanted to use in our product (and now that the
announce has happened, we are free to talk about it).

I have included it here for convenience:

Service virtualization is “the ability to simulate service components”
(e.g. dependencies of your SUT) “so that you are able to validate the
behavior and performance of each of the components and how they interact
as part of a composite application”. -
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/servicevirtualization/
That is, if you have a system under test (SUT) with dependencies that are
expensive to use or difficult to deploy, then you can create virtual
services (that are cheaper to use and easier to set up) to replace those
dependencies during testing, to making testing cheaper, faster, more
controllable, and more automatable.
This is the deployment that drove my requirement for a “teardown” of a
deployed resource.
1.      Automated build system completes a build
2.      Automated testing system starts preparing test environment to test
that build
3.      Testing system reads its tests’ configuration to determine which
virtual services need to be started
4.      Testing system requests that virtualization system starts the
appropriate virtual service(s)
5.      Virtualization system starts the virtual service(s) deploying
6.      Once that deployment has completed, the virtualization system
indicates to the testing system that the deployment has completed
7.      Testing system runs the test(s)
8.      Testing system indicates to the virtualization system that the
testing has completed (i.e. the virtual service instances are no longer
required)
9.      Virtulization system tears down the virtual services
10.     Once the teardown has completed, the virtualization system frees
up those resources for other clients
Having a client that can start virtual services but not stop them is not
desirable, as otherwise we do not know when we can free up those
resources.