[Oslc-Automation] Actions 2.0 - Dialog RDF

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Fri Dec 13 08:36:53 EST 2013

> I think I broadly follow what you're saying.
> I've never been completely comfortable with a generic Automation
> consumer of usage=template having to find "the Right creation
> factory (or pre-fill-accepting dialog)" later in time.  The
> discussion makes me wonder if the obvious solution is enough: link
> them.  I.e. add links from a template Dialog to the creation factory
> (ies) and/or creation dialog(s) that accept its output (the
> template) as a later-in-time input.  Telling consumers instead to
> just poke around the other action:request links feels like more of
> the original-same.  Do you think that would address what you laid out?
> Adding that linkage might be sensible for template dialogs in
> general.  Clients are always free to ignore those links and write
> (gobs of?) code to do it other ways, which is what we require today
> in 2.1 I think.

I've just found this email when looking back through this thread.
The example in the Actions doc I just sent out includes a link from a
dialog to the creation factory (or in that case any other request) that
the result should go to.
It would be worth seeing if we can converge the two to avoid duplication
while also "keeping the simple case simple" where it is a creation factory
that it's pointing to (as would be the vast majority of cases - all of the
ones where the dialog isn't inside an action plus most of the ones where
it is).

Kind regards,

Martin Pain
Software Developer - Green Hat
Rational Test Virtualization Server, Rational Test Control Panel
Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration - Automation WG joint chair

E-mail: martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Find me on:  and within IBM on:

IBM United Kingdom Limited

"Oslc-Automation" <oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net> wrote on