[Oslc-Automation] Reusing Cm's Actions for teardown/operations

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Fri Aug 30 03:22:01 EDT 2013

So if we were to use Actions, would we still want to make teardown Plans
available?

Perhaps like this:

* The result contains an oslc:action link to an Action.

* The Action contains an oslc:usage property with a well-defined oslc-auto
value (e.g. oslc_auto:teardown).

* The consumer can POST to that Action URL to perform the teardown.

* The provider may include a link from the Action to a Plan that can do
the same thing. (I don't know what this would be called without including
"automationPlan" in the name. Maybe simply "seeAlso" or some form of
"related"/"relation" term?)

* The provider may include an indication of the Action's requiredness
(oslc_auto:required with range boolean?)

* (The consumer can perform a GET on the Action to see the above two
properties, or the provider could include it inline in the Result.
However, even if it is still inline, it cannot be an anonymous node as it
has to provide the URL on which to perform the POST).

* The provider includes some indication on the deployment Plan that a
teardown Action is available on the Result. e.g. oslc_auto:actionOnResult
pointing to a copy of the Action, but which cannot receive POSTs and
either does not contain a link to a plan, or contains a link to a
parameterised plan, should any consumers want to consume it in a
provider-specific way. (This could be an inline anonymous node, as it does
not need a URI to POST to).

I don't like this "two ways of doing things". If we wanted to go with the
POST on the Action approach, which admittedly is simpler for the consumer,
it adds an additional pattern for the provider to work with. If the
provider wanted to use Plans, and we allowed both, then I would still want
the Action approach to be required, so that consumers don't have to
inspect and determine which is the correct approach to use.

So I'm still leaning on the side of not using Actions, but I'm not
completely against it.

Martin