[Oslc-Automation] Temporary deployment solutions - tear-down plans - locating the plans in automated script construction

Martin P Pain martinpain at uk.ibm.com
Thu Aug 22 07:59:56 EDT 2013

Hi John,

Good point about that not coming through on the scenarios page. Having
gone back and looked at it, we did cover it in the "Locating plans"
section of [1] (while trying to be generic to any operations on the
produced resource, not just teardown), but we didn't emphasise it
elsewhere.

I've now updated the scenarios [2] [3] to include the actions of the User,
which is where this requirement comes out.

I think your suggestion sounds like it would achieve what we need:
* The presence of the predicate perhaps ":teardown") on the Plan indicates
that teardown is (likely to be) possible.
* The value of the predicate is left open for future extensions or
provider-specific information (such as a parameterised plan). Perhaps we
could provide some terms that would be useful values for now, e.g.
#required (i.e. highly desired) and #optional. But this isn't required to
make this work.
* The predicate on the Result points to something to use to tear it down.
We have to define exactly what, possibly one of:
   (a) A resource to DELETE
   (b) A resource to which to do a naked POST (I don't like this one)
   (c) An automation plan (with no [required] parameters) - this is
extensible to other executable things, like Actions, although that
wouldn't be interoperable/backwards-compatible.
   (d) A resource that tells the Client what to do. This would be flexible
to point the client to do any of the above, but would require extra
complexity on the client's side.

I feel fairly strongly about the link to the teardown plan going on the
Result, to avoid imposing our vocab on other non-OSLC Auto resources.

I've written up a proposal based on this at [4].

With this approach I don't believe we would need produced/s for the basic
teardown case. However, it might still be useful for other things, such as
chaining together deployment & other plans in an orchestration plan, but
that's for the orchestration discussions to cover.

Martin

[1]
http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/Temporary-deployment:-%22Teardown-plan%22-property-on-Automation-Result/
[2]