[Oslc-Automation] Temporary deployment solutions - tear-down plans - locating the plans in automated script construction

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 21 13:37:40 EDT 2013

> the desire to know in advance (at orchestration-plan design time) that
teardown is possible,

This requirement never really registered with me, let alone its primacy.
Skimming the temporary deployment scenario pages, I don't see it coming
through either.  Did I miss something, or is there a "composed plan design
time" scenario driving this?  It seems reasonable enough, I see the same
design vs run time issues certain places in CSI.  I've seen design-time
scenarios drive subtly different requirements, so is there anything
(content/properties) beyond mere capability needed to hit the mark for
you?

> and how to perform it.

Let's assume something really simple: same predicate allowed on Plan and
(either Result or the object of the :produced triple); you name the
predicate.

On the Plan, it's a general or incomplete hint ... it needs additional
context, in the form of either the Result or the primary output resource
(:produced), in order to be used as intended; I think we violently agree
on that much.

On the Result/:produced, it's one of the following:

1: Completely specific to the request/:produced resource, as I laid out
earlier.  Seems to meet RQM's goal.

2: Same as on Plan, as you proposed earlier.  There was an unanswered
question of how to pass the context resource in, as I remember.  Would
have to work that out; given that we don't have namespace-qualified
parameter names, I see us either

2a: defining a well-known oslc_auto: URI for this plan (with a
corresponding well-known parameter name) that providers could extend with
optional parameters... seems to meet RQM's goal., or
2b: saying it's implementation specific (which seems to defeat RQM's "not
GreenHat-specific" interop goal).

I think it's possible for GreenHat to actually implement #2 above via #1,
although I grant I might be the only one so might need to make the "how"
more explicit... and it definitely Would be implementation-specific, but
still hidden from clients like RQM.  I'm not overjoyed at the prospect of
defining a well-known oslc_auto: URI for teardown plans in general, but
that might change as I learn more.

We'd still need choose where the link goes (Result vs :produced); I don't
have any strong feelings either way on that.

Plan + :produces -> resource shape(s) for design time or UI-based
introspection, sure fine makes perfect sense.  I can see that being useful
with or without :produced, FWIW.  I'm guessing that it's 0:* since any
given Plan could produce different resource(s) based on its input
parameters.

Stephen will have to chime in for his part; Michael is out this week,
that's why I'm chairing.