[Oslc-Automation] Temporary deployment solutions - tear-down plans - locating the plans in automated script construction

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 20 14:35:14 EDT 2013

Catching up with this finally.

There's a persistent underlying assumption that (REST hat on) feels
misplaced, i.e. that the deploy Plan-A links to a teardown Plan-B, and
Plan-B has a parameter (ick!) telling it what to teardown (which sounds a
lot like destroy).  The equivalent OO statement is that I call a class's
constructor (Plan-A) to manufacture an instance, and then I call some
other class entirely (Plan-B) to destroy the instance.  [brows furrow] You
will see a version of this point in the 8/15 minutes now that I fleshed
out some things Michael was unable to minute.

The deployed environment (virtual service) created as a result of creating
an Automation Request (i.e. a constructor call, with parameters) against
Plan A is the thing you want to tear down as I understand it, not all
instances of Plan A output.  The 1:1 corresponding, already existing,
Automation resource is the Automation Result.  So it seems perfectly
natural that the Result (perhaps indirectly, via the "deployed env" it
created) would tell a client how to tear it down.  I see no way the *Plan*
can do so, because the *Plan* lacks knowledge of whatever parameters
accompanied the Request (and in practical terms, any output parameters,
which might also come into play in the general case).  The context needed
to reverse the process is the original request; that has to be accessible
to the teardown implementation somehow.  Smart implementations might need
less than the full original request.  Since everything needed is
accessible to the implementation, there is no need for (client-specified)
parameters on teardown (goes my argument); if you want to take some
-different- action, like "preserve env for later debug by humans", that's
a -different action- with a different link.

I do think there is room for debate on where that link gets placed, on the
Result or on the "primary resulting resource", depending upon what
semantics you attach to each.
On the Result: you're depending on the Result to live on as long as the
deployed environment.  Not clear that you need to introduce that
dependency.
On the "manufactured resource", linked to by the Result: Not clear to me
that you need anything more than the link and HTTP DELETE on the
"manufactured resource" to trigger teardown.
Note that in both cases, implementations CAN use a "Plan-B with RPC-ish
parameter" style by putting the parameter in the URI, if they so desire.
Other implementations just have to ensure that whatever resource holds the
teardown link has whatever subset of the Request parameters it needs to
function properly.  That all seems like tasty loosely coupled goodness.

As to the worries about the "right" cardinality of the proposed
auto:produces/d predicate(s), containers is the obvious fix.  The
cardinality is 0:1, if your Request produces >1 thing then its output is a
container of those things.  fin.

For those who cry out "aha, but 'teardown' might just be deregistration of
'interest' so the env is eligible for re-use, so DELETE goes too far", I
say this is all tied up in the semantics of the manufactured resource
(which Automation leaves open).  If the manufactured entity is just an
"interest registration", then deleting it is exactly what the client
wants.  If it is "the env", ditto.  It's all Automation provider
implementation detail; if the provider wants to allow clients to see
through the encapsulation, that's called a proprietary extension.

> There's no way for the orchestrator to know that the two plans are
linked in this way
To be clear: I agree with this, modulo the "plan/Result/env" substitution
above.   I.e. I do see a reasonable requirement for an "undo a previous
Auto Request" 'action'.

> "it can find the reference in the result contributions to the deployed
environment" vs mult contributions
Ditto, modulo the "where to place the link" discussion above.  If the
inversion/teardown link is always on the Result, it's not obvious to me
that we need produced/s.  It would be useful to be clear on each one why
it's needed (exactly what fails without it), and if there are dependency
relationships between the decisions then understand those.

> a means to determine which input parameter that resource should be
passed in
So far, I've argued there is no parameter for teardown so this is moot.