[Oslc-Automation] Fw: OSLC Automation spec updates

Michael F Fiedler fiedler at us.ibm.com
Wed Sep 19 08:55:58 EDT 2012

Forwarding this to the automation list.   Agenda item for tomorrow's
workgroup meeting.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Fiedler
IBM Rational Software
fiedler at us.ibm.com
919-254-4170
----- Forwarded by Michael F Fiedler/Durham/IBM on 09/19/2012 08:54 AM
-----

             Charles
             Rankin/Austin/IBM
             09/12/2012 03:20          Michael F Fiedler/Durham/IBM at IBMUS,

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Oslc-Automation] OSLC
                                       Automation spec updates(Document
                                       link: Michael F Fiedler)

oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 09/12/2012 12:11:12 PM:

> From: Michael F Fiedler/Durham/IBM at IBMUS
>
> Some minor spec updates are available for review/comment.  These are
> based on our last workgroup meeting + recent mailing list activity

I'm good with most of these.

> 3. Updated dcterms:creator and dcterms:contributor descriptions for
> Automation Results based on workgroup discussion (table formatting
> is still bad)
>
> http://open-services.net/wiki/automation/OSLC-Automation-
> Specification-Version-2.0/#AutomationResult-Properties

I'm ok with the words around dcterms:contributor, but I think it could use
a little more clarification around dcterms:creator.  It does indicate that
you can have more than one creator, but it then says "*The* value" (my
emphasis).  For those familiar with these specs, this is relatively easily
read as the *the* value of a *specific* instance of dcterms:creator.  But,
for others I think it could cause confusion.  Additionally, it kinda
implies that you should either have a foaf:Person *or* a foaf:Agent based
on whether the user initiated the creation.  I thought we had discussed
that in the case of schedule-based automation you would possibly use both,
a foaf:Person for the person that had set the schedule, as well as a
foaf:Agent for the system initiating the actual creation at schedule time.
Mabye we could kill both items with wording such as the following (or maybe
we just put some extra examples or explanation in guidance):

Creator or creators of the resource (reference: Dublin Core).  It is likely
that the target resource will be a foaf:Person, but that is not necessarily
the case. The resource should represent the entity on whose behalf the
automation is being created.  When the provider itself or its agent is the
initiator of the automation (perhaps in the case of a scheduled
automation), an additional foaf:Agent resource could be used.

Charles Rankin