[Oslc-Automation] Important Automation Spec updates requiring review by Thursday - Part 2 Support for the synchronous automation scenario

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Thu May 10 13:54:53 EDT 2012

- Description of the synchronous interaction style
> For generality, it is also assumed that results may be contributed
asynchronously by a set of distributed processes,
from: results may be contributed    asynchronously
to:   results may be contributed to asynchronously

We may need to clarify whether a client should expect 0:* or 0:1results
when querying for "results related to the client's request".
My suspicion is that most people will expect "at most 1", but the wg may
envision cases with >1 and hence want to be sure clients are prepared for
that.  The original text above could be read both ways (which is good if
0:* is the intent, bad if the wg intends only 0:1)

from: adds its contribution(s) to the result via HTTP PUT.
to:   adds its contribution(s) to the result via HTTP PUT (other suitable
HTTP Methods might be used, e.g. PATCH, but this spec is silent on those)
...or something of similar spirit

Do we need to add anything in here about the client advertising its "synch
capable" capability on the Request?

- A new Automation Request attribute
seems reasonable

- Update to Query Capability requirements
> then it There MUST be have at least one
needs some editorial help

in the wiki source, also need a ! in front of the final AutomationResults

- Update to HTTP method requirements:
Least invasive alternative I could come up with.

From:   Michael F Fiedler/Durham/IBM at IBMUS
To:     oslc-automation at open-services.net
Date:   05/08/2012 09:58 AM
Subject:        [Oslc-Automation] Important Automation Spec updates
Sent by:        oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net

As we continue our effort to move the Automation specification towards
convergence, there are two important new areas of updates to review based
on last week's discussion.   These are a) updates discussed in the meeting
to attempt to finalize the "in" and "out" parameter names and descriptions
and  b)  the inclusion of wording and a new attribute to support the
synchronous automation scenario.

Splitting this e-mail into two parts to allow for better on-topic
comments.

Summary and sections to review for the synchronous scenario:

- Description of the synchronous interaction style:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/AutoSpecificationV2#Automation_Service_Provider_Capa

- A new Automation Request attribute to allow clients to indicate they can
handle synchronous interactions:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/AutoSpecificationV2#Resource_AutomationRequest

- Update to Query Capability requirements (MUST for asynch capable
providers):
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/AutoSpecificationV2#Query_Capabilities

- Update to HTTP method requirements:
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/AutoSpecificationV2#Automation_Service_Provider_HTTP