[Oslc-Automation] Automation spec updated based on synchronous/asynchronous discussion - plus 1 issue

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 18 14:37:34 EDT 2012

[1] > An automation result is "finished" when it has an oslc_auto:state
predicate with an object of oslc_auto:complete or oslc_auto:canceled or an
oslc_auto:verdict property with a value other than oslc_auto:incomplete.

s/value/object/  ... for internal sentence consistency as well as
precision.  I see we do say "property value" in other places, maybe it's
time to choose one and use it consistently.

It seems odd/almost perverse that we have a state=complete and
verdict=incomplete.  Since state=1:*, why do we need to drag verdict into
this?
I see from the state/verdict enumeration description that incomplete has a
"rather odd" description.
The additional property values for oslc_auto:verdict are:
-    http://open-services.net/ns/auto#incomplete = - used to indicate an
automation result is in a state where no other verdict applies.  Usually
used when a result is in a state other than =oslc_auto:complete.

What is the value we gain from having an explicit "incomplete" verdict,
distinct from simply not asserting one of the others ... is this so we can
meet the requirement that each instance always has at least one oslc_auto
verdict value (i.e. something to interop on)?  If covering that case
really helps, we could at least name it something less likely to be
conflated with state (strawman: no-verdict).

[4] I'd be careful about using w3.org URLs for IETF RFCs... [5] is the
IETF URL, I see no obvious differences there or in the errata; [6] which
is the replacement-in-process has some smallish differences around
caching.
[5] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-9.5
[6]
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-19#section-6.5