[Oslc-Automation] Revisiting input and output parameters

Pramod K Chandoria pchandor at in.ibm.com
Thu Jul 26 13:50:49 EDT 2012

+1 for executionVariables name. This name actually reflect what it may
represent.

-|- Pramod Chandoria

From:   Max Vohlken <mvohlken at us.ibm.com>
To:     Charles Rankin <rankinc at us.ibm.com>
Cc:     oslc-automation at open-services.net,
oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net
Date:   07/26/2012 11:05 PM
Subject:        Re: [Oslc-Automation] Revisiting input and output
parameters
Sent by:        oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net

I agree with Charles that the outputParameters should be the total set of
parameters that the service provider is maintaining as part of the
execution of the job. If a jobs is still running I expect outputParameters
to also contain the values of all of the parameters at that point in time.
Once the job has finished I expect the outputParameters to be the values
of all of the parameters at the end of the execution.

On a related note I'm also not a big fan of the name "outputParameters"
for this. When I have the result of an automation job I expect to find a
way to get all of the settings that contributed to the result. I'm not so
sure I would call them paramaters at this point. The definition of
parameter is "a variable that must be given a specific value during the
execution of a program or of a procedure within a program". So when
starting a job it makes sense to call the settings that are required at
the start of a job to be called parameters. But during the execution of a
job the settings are no longer parameters but instead they are just the
variables or settings maintained by the execution engine. So is a name
like "executionVariables" a better name?

Max Vohlken
IBM
Rational Software Division
Advisory Software Engineer
550 King St.
Littleton, MA 01460
Email: mvohlken at us.ibm.com
Phone: 978-899-4720

oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 07/24/2012 12:08:19 PM:

> From: Charles Rankin/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-automation at open-services.net
> Date: 07/24/2012 12:44 PM
> Subject: [Oslc-Automation] Revisiting input and output parameters
> Sent by: oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net
>
> When looking at the current wording of inputParameter and
outputParameter for AutomationResult [1], it appears as though a parameter
may only appear as an outputParameter if either it wasn't in the set of
inputParameters or  it has a value different than specified on the
inputParameter.  I question whether this is the intended and desired
behavior?  I believe the most common use case here will be to examine the
entire set of "output" parameters from an automation, particularly so for
a "chaining" scenario.  As the spec is presently worded, I believe the
user will need to do a merge between the inputParameters and
outputParameters to get the complete set of parameters. To that end I
would like to suggest that we change the meaning of outputParameter to
indicate that it will be the total set of parameters, whether changed or
not.  In the case where a user is particularly interested in whether a
parameter has changed since the beginning of the automation, they can
still make a comparison of the values.

> I think this will actually make things easier on service providers as
well.  I believe that most take a snapshot of the input parameters and
then maintain the current set of all parameter values, which aligns with
what I'm recommending.

> One interesting corner case is what happens to a parameter, A1, that
starts out with an initial value of "foo", then gets updated to a value of
"bar", and then subsequently gets changed back to "foo".  With our current
wording, would A1 be in the outputParameters at the end of the execution,
as it has changed values during the execution, but now has the same value
as it initially did?  With my recommended change, it will always be in the
outputParameters with it's current value.

> On a side note, I was initially thinking about this with respect to a
Build Forge service provider implementation for Automation.  Build Forge
(unlike many/most other tools) does not save the initial set of parameter
values.  So, in its present form, will not be able to accurately generate
the inputParameters.  As the spec is currently worded, it would not be
able to accurately generate the outputParameters either.  With my
recommended change, Build Forge could at least provide an accurate
representation for outputParameters.  :)

> Off-hand, I think it is probably better to force the issue one way or
the other, so that outputParameters either have all parameters or only
those that are new or have changed.  Softening the wording to "allow"
outputParameters to have unchanged parameters doesn't seem to directly
help the consumer very much, in my opinion, and may just confuse them.

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/AutoSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#Resource_AutomationResult