[Oslc-Automation] Oslc-Automation Digest, Vol 17, Issue 17

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 20 07:43:08 EDT 2012

> Is this an issue of being able to categorize Automation providers so
> it is possible to return Automation Plans for a given category
> (e.g., Test vs Build).

The scenarios discussed all were UI-focused, as in: I know in my tool (or
within a certain usage context within my tool) that only some subset of
the universe of automation plans is relevant, so I want to filter the list
I present to the user.  Test/Build/Deploy were examples given (as the
proposed URIs would suggest).  An analogous case occurs when linking
problems to RTC defects; the problem-oriented machinery wants to select
from the list of CM providers for a given project, but RTC today exposes
both CM and QM providers for each project.

> If so did you discuss the ability to have
> hierarchical categorization?

Hierarchy did not come up specifically.
I look at the problem as a general categorization issue, which is a
superset of hierarchical categorization strategies.  I think we have no
hope of spec'ing out "the right" categories for every usage context, so I
advocated for something extensible even if we provide a set of starter
categories.  Tagging seems like a nice fit to me, where pre-defined
categories amount to built-in tags ... tags really being just orthogonal
category terms, some of which might/not have relationships amongst
themselves such as hierarchy.  In this case the tag values are URIs (of
course) so we have distributed extensibility.

> The thought is that I may want to
> search for all "test" providers and be able to select "performance
> test" plans vs "functional test" plans.

You're a good straight man ;-)