[Oslc-Automation] Oslc-Automation Digest, Vol 16, Issue 12

Charles Rankin rankinc at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 2 12:59:27 EDT 2012

oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 06/30/2012 06:47:24 AM:

> From: David N Brauneis/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
>
> Then you are making the assumption that the parameters passed on the
> request are cloned into the result (I do not believe that semantic
> is true for all automation providers).

The specification, as currently written states that the inputParameters to
the Automation Request are cloned to the Automation Result.

> From:        Daniel Berg/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
>
> It is fine if the AutomationRequest has a relationship to the
> AutomationResult versus the other way around if we want to avoid
> dangling references. However, we need to have the request parameter
> values captured and stored with the AutomationResult for audit purposes.

I thought one of the reasons that we needed to have the reference the
other way around (from Result to Request) was so that an async style
request could do a query to determine which Automation Result was
associated with the Automation Request it generated (in the case where
Automation Requests have a shorter lifespan than Automation Results).  If
the link is from request to result there is a timing window where the
consumer creates the request (but there is no associated result yet) and
the request gets deleted.  At that point, the consumer has no way to
determine which result goes with their request.  At least with the link
going from result to request, even if the reference is dangling, the
reference itself is still accurate, and allows the needed query.

Charles Rankin