[Oslc-Automation] Comments on current draft specification

Charles Rankin rankinc at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 25 17:12:33 EST 2012

Here are my comments on the current draft.  The first two are just
general, and the remainder are more or less in-order as I read the spec.

1.      I'm not commenting on parameters, as I know there are going to be
some updates there based on recent meetings and mailing list traffic.
2.      We should have a bit of text at the definition of each resource
type to describe when/how/why it is used.  At a minimum, we could repeat
the blurbs listed under Introduction->Terminology
3.      Base Requirements -> Compliance, I think we should make it a MUST
for creation of Automation Requests, and a MAY for the others.  For
Delegated UIs, I think it should be a MUST/MAY or a SHOULD/MAY with the
MUST (or SHOULD) being for Automation Request and the MAY for the other
resource types
4.      Resource Formats->HTTP GET->1st bullet, the comment about XML
following the MUST of RDF/XML feels out of context, as it (I think) is
actually talking about if the consumer requests XML, not RDF/XML.  Not
sure about the rewording, maybe 'If an XML representation is requested, it
SHOULD …".  And/or pull that part out into a separate bullet.
5.      Resource Formats->HTTP PUT/POST, since we earlier state you MAY
support JSON, it should be mentioned here as well.  I *think* the
statement that the CM spec uses is accurate for us.
6.      Resource Foramts->HTTP GET, JSON should be in the list of MAYs.
7.      Resource Formats->"When Automation Consumers request", the
statements around "xml" and "atom+xml" should be SHOULDs.
8.      We SHOULD support Resource Paging.  Insert after Error Responses
(as CM spec does)
9.      AutomationPlan properties->dcterms:description indicates content
10.     AutomationPlan properties->oslc_auto:automationInstructions, I may
have missed the meeting where this was discussed, but I have no idea what
I would expect on the other side of this.  I suggest that we don't include
this property for v1.
11.     AutomationRequest properties->oslc_auto:status and
oslc_auto:desiredStatus, should we provide a non-exhaustive enumeration of
values for these?  My feeling is "Yes".
12.     AutomationRequest properties->oslc_auto:executesAutomationPlan, I
wonder if this shouldn't be zero-or-one, not exactly-one.
13.     AutomationResult properties, it seems like this should have
dcterms:creator and dcterms:contributor like the other resource types.
14.     AutomationResult properties->oslc_auto:verdict and
oslc_auto:status, similar to AutomationRequest->oslc_auto:status, I think
we should consider providing an open-ended enumerations for these.
15.     AutomationResult properties->oslc_auto:producedByAutomationRequest
and oslc_auto:reportsOnAutomationPlan (no 't'), I think we should consider
changing these from exactly-one to zero-or-one.
16.     On Resource Shapes, I'm not sure we need to say anything beyond
what the core spec says.  If we have to have this here, I would suggest we
drop from SHOULD to MAY on the need for Resource Shapes.
17.     Under Creation Factories, I think we should provide some
specificity about creating resources.  I'd say MUST support creating
AutomationRequests and MAY support the creation of all other types.
18.     Under Query Capabilities, I think we should put a SHOULD for
support of oslc:properties and oslc:prefix.
19.     Under Delegated UIs, I think we should remove the rows for
AutomationEnvironment and ResultContribution.  Also, I think selection of
AutomationRequest should be changed to a MAY, as not all of them may be
able to support these in a way that makes selection feasible.

Charles Rankin
Rational CTO Team -- Mobile Development Strategy
101/4L-002 T/L 966-2386