[Oslc-Automation] Definition of "parameter"

Paul McMahan pmcmahan at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 23 14:32:07 EST 2012

That's a really helpful observation.  If we don't expect the parameters to
be reused across multiple automation resources then its safer to assume
that the properties are implicitly scoped.   We haven't talked about
multiple automation plans sharing the same parameters, so my example
scenario may be out of scope for V1.   But we have talked about how
parameters "move" across the transition from automation plan --> automation
request --> automation result.   If we assume that properties are
implicitly scoped then each resource may need to make copies of its
parameters.  This could lead to some unnecessary duplication within a RDF
model that describes multiple automation resources, such as one that
described the full automation sequence.   But perhaps the simplicity this
approach affords is worth that cost.   I certainly agree with Charles'
earlier email saying that we don't want to go too far in establishing a
pattern of pushing any volatile properties into relationship names.

Best wishes,
Paul McMahan
Rational Quality Manager