[Oslc-Automation] Definition of "parameter"

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Mon Jan 23 12:53:14 EST 2012

> 3) Your examples shows a parameter definition resource being used across
multiple Automation Plans.

That's the nub of the discussion I think.  Two APs, each with a single
identically named parameter -- so is it really 1 parameter or 2?

It's another version of the relationship between a property and a class
that uses the property.  Is the class (AP) providing a single namespace
that scopes all its properties (so any apparently identical property names
across different classes are still in fact unique), making the property's
definition wholly contained within the class, or is wider property
definition re-use possible and therefore the relationship is more
nuanced/layered?

I'd suggest that (for AP parameters at least) the scenario we must support
is the one with no re-use.  I make up my own parameter names, their
definitions are wholly specific to the AP instance, period.  "Definition"
then includes things like required-ness.  If/when we have concrete
scenario(s) to re-use parameter definitions themselves, then we can talk
about the more complex/layered relationships that may exist between a
parameter definition that can exist independently of any AP and the AP(s)
that re-use (perhaps, simultaneously refine in the context of a given AP).
 We might possibly say that we do not wish to *prevent* such re-use in the
future, but I do not know of anything more that we must say today.