[Oslc-Automation] Parameters: need for input and output parameters?

Charles Rankin rankinc at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 11 17:24:22 EST 2012

Not really replying directly to you, Dan.  Just throwing out my opinions.
:)

I can see the concept of (probably read-only) input parameters on the
Automation Plan as a means to define which parameters may/must be provided
upon execution (in lieu of something like a Resource Shape).  I can see
the idea of (writeable on creation, read-only otherwise) input parameters
on the Automation Request as a way to specify the incoming parameters and
for consumers to see what data was specified when the request was
submitted.  These will likely be different (structurally) from what you
see on the Automation Plan as not only will they have values associated
with them, but they won't need to specify any of the input constraints
that you might see associated with the input parameters on the Automation
Plan.  I can also see (read-only) input parameters associated with the
Automation Result as a way to see what was used when the associated
Automation Plan/Request was run.  This set may be larger than what is seen
on the Automation Request (or Automation Plan) as some interesting inputs
may be auto-generated by the underlying system.

With respect to output parameters, I'm not a big proponent here, at least
not for the first version of the spec.  I don't think there is any
commonality at all among prospective implementers on this.  In most cases,
I don't believe the concept even exists.  I suggest the use of a Result
Contribution to handle this for the first version of the spec.  In an
appendix, we could provide guidance on the potential type and structure of
a Result Contribution that could hold the collective set of output
parameters (I do not suggest having a one-to-one mapping between output
parameters and Result Contributions).  If we see sufficient uptake on
that, then it would be something we could look to make more "first class"
in the next version of the spec.  If it comes to pass that we do spec
explicit output parameters on one or more of the resources, I would
suggest that it only be on the Automation Result resource (again, at least
for the first version of the spec).

Charles Rankin
Rational CTO Team -- Mobile Development Strategy
101/4L-002 T/L 966-2386