[Oslc-Automation] Automation Specification version #?

Michael F Fiedler fiedler at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 21 15:52:58 EST 2012

In the 9 February Automation workgroup meeting we had a short conversation
on the numbering of the Automation spec.   The OSLC Core workgroup is
suggesting that specifications number themselves with the same version
number as the OSLC Core spec they are adopting.   For Automation, this
would mean a version of 2.0.   Some pros and cons discussed were:

Pros:
    - Easy to tell which "generation" of specifications Automation lines up
with (Core 2.0, CM 2.0, QM 2.0, etc)
    - Minor updates can use dot-release numbers if necessary (2.1, 2.2) and
still show relationship to Core

Cons
  - Does not reflect true maturity of the skip
  - Major new spec versions based on same core might be forced to use
dot-release numbering

Strong opinions for either option?   We can discuss at the next WG meeting.

Regards,
Mike