[Oslc-Automation] Automation vocabulary document rife with rdfs:range predicates

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 31 07:52:10 EDT 2012

Someone in Perf Mon pointed out that the Automation vocabulary document
(the RDFS [1], not the HTML generated from it [2]) contains rdfs:range
triples.

I think most if not all of these (and any rdfs:domain predicates, if we
have them) should be removed.
rdfs:range [4] is NOT equivalent semantically to the Range column in OSLC
resource definition tables, and it leads to entailment of incorrect
triples.
rdfs:domain is not something that seems very sensible if we are advocating
wide vocabulary reuse; it leads to entailment of incorrect triples.

Even if we were to keep range/domain generically for some reason, the
values for state [3] are demonstrably wrong -- they assert that every
subject S with a predicate oslc_auto:state has at least two additional
triples: S rdf:type oslc_auto:AutomationRequest and S rdf:type oslc_auto:
AutomationResult.  We might have one known implementation doing that, but
certainly as the synch/asynch discussions showed not all.

The existing description of state
> ...It is expected that this will be a resource reference to a definition
of a valid automation request state on the service provider.
also could use some editing.  With my "reader coming from outside the
Automation WG, i.e. not having attended all the meetings/consumed the
entire email archive" hat on, I have little idea what "definition of a
valid automation request state on the service provider" means.  I could
easily read that to mean that the oslc:ServiceProvider resource must
expose something akin to a oslc_auto:ParameterDefinition, which (having
actually been in most meetings/discussions) is not our intent as I
understand it.

[1] http://open-services.net/pub/Main/AutomationVocabulary/auto.rdf
[2] http://open-services.net/ns/auto/auto.html
[3] http://open-services.net/ns/auto/auto.html#state