[Oslc-Automation] synchronous requests/results

Michael F Fiedler fiedler at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 30 11:02:54 EDT 2012

The working group discussed this and decided to follow the HTTP standard
(RFC 2616 [1]) for the behavior of the POST-response for Automation
Requests.   Section 9.5 states:

The action performed by the POST method might not result in a
resource that can be identified by a URI. In this case, either 200
(OK) or 204 (No Content) is the appropriate response status,
depending on whether or not the response includes an entity that
describes the result.

If a resource has been created on the origin server, the response
SHOULD be 201 (Created) and contain an entity which describes the
status of the request and refers to the new resource, and a Location
header (see section 14.30).

So, for your scenario I believe the appropriate response is a status code
of 200 since the response includes the Request and Result entities.
Comments?   This might be an area where we need additional informative
guidance in the specification.

[1] - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Regards,
Mike