[Oslc-Automation] Preparing OSLC Automation specification for finalization

Michael F Fiedler fiedler at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 16 07:34:29 EDT 2012

This was discussed in a couple of the  workgroup meetings.   The decision
was that state is required since there are known instances of providers
which do not persist Requests.  But, there is nothing which says the state
in the Result has to track the lifecycle of the execution.   A Result can
be created with a state of "complete" and a final verdict if the Result is
only created when the verdict is known.   Or a state can be created with a
value of "inProgress" and then moved to "complete" once the verdict is
known.  There are no required state transitions in the specification.

Can you give details on an implementation challenge here if it is
acceptable to create the Result with a state of "complete"?  or having it
be "inProgress" initially and then moved to "complete"?

Regards,
Mike

Michael Fiedler
IBM Rational Software
fiedler at us.ibm.com
919-254-4170

oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net

> Subject
>
> Re: [Oslc-Automation] Preparing OSLC Automation specification for
finalization

> Hi Mike,
> On of the thing which causes adoption issues in Rational Quality
> Manager is the mandatory 'state' attribute on Automation Result
> (besides mandatory verdict) which is actually 'spill over' from
> Automation Request.
> Probably it must be optional so service provider can get it's value
> from Automation Request as long Automation Request has not been
> purged. Service providers should not be forced to introduce state of
Result.