[Oslc-Automation] Automation specification updates + request for outputParameter name suggestions

Charles Rankin rankinc at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 9 08:40:27 EDT 2012

oslc-automation-bounces at open-services.net wrote on 08/08/2012 10:20:52 AM:

> From: Michael F Fiedler/Durham/IBM at IBMUS
>
> I've updated the specification with the promised changes related to
> identification of automation sub-domains in the service provider
document:

> http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/
> AutoSpecificationV2#Automation_Provider_Sub_Domains

I thought there was agreement that this would only be specified via
oslc:usage on the service providers Service resource. The spec still
indicates it may appear on factories and query capabilities.

> and an updated description on the behavior of oslc_auto:outputParameter:
>
> http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/
> AutoSpecificationV2#Resource_AutomationResult

This looks good.  My only comment would be the last sentence around
inputParameter still seems to imply that the outputParameter will only be
there if the input value changed.

> There has been discussion on the mailing list and in the workgroup
> around renaming oslc_auto:outputParameter.   I am soliciting
> suggestions for discussion in this week's workgroup meeting.   So
> far, I believe we only have two candidates:
>
> oslc_auto:outputParameter
> oslc_auto:executionVariable
>
> Other suggestions?   One benefit to outputParameter is the symmetry
> with the inputParameter attribute, but we could consider a change
> there as well.

My only other suggestion would be currentParameter, which makes a lot of
sense while the automation is executing, but loses a bit of clarity after
the automation has completed.  With the choice of outputParameter or
executionVariable, I'd go with outputParameter for the symmetry.

Charles Rankin