[Oslc-Automation] how does a client find the automation result corresponding to the request it created?

John Arwe johnarwe at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 3 16:25:21 EDT 2012

Still working this very simple automation implementation.
1: My client creates an Automation Request via the factory.
2: ?
3: My client GETs the corresponding Automation Result to see if has
finished, etc.

In step 1, client POSTs an AReq representation to the creation factory
URL.  The 201 response is a pointer (HTTP Location header) to the newly
created AReq.  At some future time, it wants to poll and see if the
request has completed (generically, what is its current state).  By what
magic in step 2 does it find the ARes's (sic) URL?  I had expected a link
from the Request to the Result, but I see none (I see the opposite link).
Is the expectation that the client has to query the AResult collection
using the query parameters (where) to find the AResult corresponding to
the request, and no other implementation models need apply?
In the simplest possible case, the request could have already completed by
the time the create-request flow is ready to build the response.  It would
be nice if the 201 response did not require any additional flows for the
client to examine the AResult.  Core and HTTP would let me provide a 201
response, Location=ARequestURL, body=AResult (sic), which accomplishes
that (without forcing it on anyone - clients preferring to query still
could, and ignore this "optimized" case).  Which is nice, but does not
address the mainline case where completion really is asynch.
If the spec's current intent is to require that clients can search through
Results via query capabilities, I don't think the spec actually says that.
 It says >=1 QC is required, but not which resource types that QC is
required to expose.  Creation Factories are likewise pretty open; >=1 is
required, but no restriction on what types it manufactures.  ARequest
seems likely (in addition to just intellectually, also by inference from
the SHOULD on delegated creation dialog).