[Oslc-Automation] Automation Execution scenario

Vaibhav Srivastava vaibhav.srivastava at in.ibm.com
Mon Oct 24 03:24:57 EDT 2011

Hi Mike, All

Thanks for the details of the scenario, I had a comment around
Job completes
Job is updated to indicate it is complete
Job is updated with a final verdict
Job can possibly be updated with extra data (TBD, examples might be links
to associated artifacts such as test results or approval records)
Consumers can GET the final Job.

Bullet 3 : It may be possible for providers to update the extra data
during the course of Job. I would imagine once the Job is initiated, the
provider may want to keep the associated artifacts created and linked to
the Job (even before Job completed).

Maybe with a scenario it will help and I will take the one mentioned here
ie. test results.

Assume there is a Job to Run tests.
The provider runs the Job (assume the Job is to run a Test suite which is
a collection of testcases). Although the Job points to the actual
completion of the collection object, there are incremental artifacts which
the provider might want to create. If the association happens at the end,
during the lifecycle of the Job, there may not be a mechanism to
understand 'who' created the Test suite and lack of traceability.

Another one from a build scenario (not an expert of this area but will
try):
A Job is to create a build for code base.
A build contains multiple packages which get built separately and the last
build step to create an offering. Although the Job points to the actual
availability of the offering, during the course of the Job, there will be
smaller packages built and the provider will keep creating them. The
provider will want to create these packages but if we allow linkage of
Offering to the Job at the Job completion time, there will not be
traceability to the artifacts created and Job.

Approval records is one of the areas which I think surely falls in the
'linking at the Job completion' scenario. I am sure there will be more in
this area as well.

I think the job-artifact linkage could happen while the job is running or
at the end of the job too. If this applies across we might want to keep
that option open while formulating this scenario.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Vaibhav