[Oslc-Automation] Extra automation concepts

Nick Edgar Nick_Edgar at ca.ibm.com
Tue Mar 23 17:12:34 EDT 2010

In the last call, we were asked to give our thoughts on the concepts other
than the automation plan, results and notifications.
c.f. http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/ResourceDefinitions

Here are my thoughts, based on my experience with RTC Build and Build
Forge (basically copied from my original comments in the spreadsheet, with
some elaboration):

Automation Server: A server that maintains the available automation plans
and results.
Presumably this is the same server as the one you're issuing OSLC
Automation requests to, though I suppose it's possible that the OSLC API
could be implemented by a fronting server.

Automation Engine: A process that coordinates the execution of an
automation plan to produce a result, by delegating to one or more agents.
An automation server supports one or more automation engines.

Automation Agent: A process running on a particular 'worker' machine that
executes a particular result or part thereof.
For example, Build Forge allows different steps of a build to run on
different agents (possibly in parallel).

It should be understood that these are all just OSLC resources describing
the underlying processes / servers.  For example, it's not expected that
asking for info about an automation agent actually contacts the machine on
which that agent is running, it just returns the info known about that
agent, as maintained by the automation server.

Nick Edgar
RTC Build component lead