[oslc-ArchMgmt] Predefined query supporting integration use cases

James Conallen jconallen at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 29 16:44:33 EDT 2012

Thanks Steve,

I think one of the supporting cases, that I tried to hint at in the
examples, are queries that involve internal or derived information that is
not available in the public OSLC form.  For example Design Management 4.0
supports a lot of versioning features, none of which appear in the OSLC.  A
pre-defined query could leverage this information in a way, that could
never be exposed in the official OSLC representation.

Also we have noted in our experience with DM, that queries are expensive.
Especially ones that have complicated joins.  Sometimes it is far more
efficient to just perform GETs on resources and do a little be of old
fashion programming logic to compute the desired result.  Pre-defined
queries provide a means to make some common expensive queries far more
efficient.

Thanks,

jim conallen
Rational Design Management (DM) Integration Architect, OSLC AM Lead
jconallen at us.ibm.com
Rational Software, IBM Software Group