[oslc-ArchMgmt] Current OSLC AM Topics

Daniel Berg danberg at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 20 09:31:38 EST 2011

Hi Jim,

Thanks for taking the time for writing up the proposals. Here is my initial
feedback.

(Sorry for duplicate mailings for those on the oslc-am mailing list.)

Common Architecture Resource Types
	•	I agree with the need to register and discover available resource
      types from a service provider.
	•	If we wanted to link the type to a Business Glosary term would we use
      an External Reference URI? I know this is a specific IBM usage but I
      would like to see that it is supported by the interface API.
	•	Do we went to restrict the "Generalizes" relationship to the UML
      domain? I would think that Generalizes could be used outside of the
      UML domain.
	•	Another common relationship type "Source" or "Derived" to link to
      another resource which the described resource is derived.
	⁃	We use "Realized" a bit but if we have Source or Derived this
            could serve the purpose as well.

Composite Contexts
I understand the need for a composite context but I wonder if we could
simplify the solution. For example can we drop the Composite Context
Manager? I'm thinking that a Service Provider can provide a context (or
many). What if any context could reference the context from other service
providers? That would mean a context could be a composite as well. I would
also expect that a Service Provider could query other providers to
determine which contexts a given contextUri was referenced.
Thoughts?

Predefined Queries
I like the concept. Shouldn't the PredefinedQueryParameter support a
default value?
In the example where the client POSTs a predefined query I do not see the
query uri. I only see parameter values. Am I missing something?

Link Type Hints
I like the proposal because it is likely that the number of LinkTypes can
and will grow over time. If we do not provide a mechanism to
filter/prioritize link types we will run into a usability problem. With the
hints clients can do a number of interesting things such as filter the
number of links based on the source selection as well as target. The client
may choose to present messages to the user for suspect links based on the
type used for the source or target as part of an analysis report. There are
many other applications for the hints as well. Of course users may always
use a link with source or target types that are outside of the hints.

Regards,
Daniel Berg
STSM | Master Inventor, IBM Rational Software
Collaborative Architecture Management | Deployment Planning & Automation
1-919-486-0047 | T/L 526-0047 | Cell: 1-919-637-8570
Rational Software Architecture community
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."  -
Albert Einstein