[oslc-ArchMgmt] More on Predefined queries

Steve Abrams sabrams at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 2 18:53:34 EST 2011

My $0.02 -- this is an OSLC core issue.

We once discussed this, at least within IBM, and semi-jokingly referred to
these delegated query-building UIs as "URL calculators." This was based on
the assumption that the caller of the delegated query-builder would get
back an URL; a GET on that URL would then produce the paginated query
result.  An advanced client might have knowledge of how a query is encoded
into an URL, and could (in principle) have its own query builder, but that
would likely be outside of the scope of an OSLC spec.  A simple client
would call the delegated query builder, and get back an URL.

The response to a GET on one of these URLS should structurally be the same
as the response to a GET on a predefined query URL.

What's not clear to me is if the spec should identify specific predefined
queries, or if it should include a way of getting a list of the queries
that a service provider offers.  Regardless, it is also likely that these
queries should exist within a "context" of some kind (what many tools
would call a project).  Perhaps the query-builder also starts with a
predefined context against which the query runs.

My thinking could well be out of date here, but this makes sense to me.

Thanks,
~~~Steve
--
Steve Abrams