[oslc-ArchMgmt] Current OSLC AM Topics

Ian Green1 ian.green at uk.ibm.com
Wed Feb 2 11:47:08 EST 2011

Hi Jim,
I like the idea of a predefined query.   Couple of comments:

        - is what you propose adequate to replace the CALM filters defined
on jazz.net? (does it need to be?)
        - how about delegated UI that allow new predefined queries to be
created?

The suggested design makes a clear separation between predefined queries
and "simple" query, and does not treat oslc:QueryParameters as OSLC
Defined Resources.  Might there be a benefit to bringing these together?

For example, the resource that is POSTed to execute a query could be
described by an OSLC Resource Shape rather than the way the
oslc:PredefinedQuery element describes the parameters with
oslc:predefinedQueryParameter.  A delegated UI could be used to make new
predefined query resources - the required and optional parameters of such
a newly created predefined query resource would be discoverable using OSLC
Shape Resources.

Whilst the OSLC query capability admits POST (for url-encoded simple
syntax and for other non-OSLC query languages) there is nothing in
oslc:QueryCapability to describe the kinds of things that can be POSTed
(unlike creation factories).  Addressing this might provide a uniform way
of treating predefined queries and simple queries, with OSLC shapes being
used to describe the parameters of those predefined queries.

-ian

ian.green at uk.ibm.com (Ian Green1/UK/IBM at IBMGB)
Chief Software Architect, Requirements Definition and Management
IBM Rational