[OSLC-ArchMgmt] [OSLC-RM] Suggestions for link resource

James Conallen jconallen at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 28 07:33:22 EDT 2009

I think you understand my intent.

When it comes to creator/modifier I think allowing all three options will
be useful, each providing a different level of content that could be
exploited by clients automatically.

Regarding the choice of the dublin core terms, I am not really hung up on
those in particular, but rather I think it useful to have both the creator
and most recent modifier available to clients looking at this resource.   I
for one an comfortable with this use of DC, but have no objections if the
workgroup would rather find another public term, or invent an  OSLC
(common) one.

<jim/>

jim conallen
jconallen at us.ibm.com
Rational Software, IBM Software Group

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Simon Wills" <simon.wills at integrate.biz>                                                                                                         |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |James Conallen/Philadelphia/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                             |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |<oslc-rm at open-services.net>, <oslc-am at open-services.net>, <oslc-am-bounces at open-services.net>                                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |10/28/2009 03:43 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |RE: [OSLC-RM] [OSLC-ArchMgmt] Suggestions for link resource                                                                                       |

I agree with the principles in Jim’s suggestions, but have a couple of
observations / clarifications.

      a.       You sensibly suggest that we provide information on the most
      recent modifier of the resource, and you propose doing this via a
      dc:contributor element.  Using this element bends its definition a
      bit (Dublin Core defines dc:contributor as ‘an entity responsible for
      making contributions to the resource’ as opposed to ‘the most recent
      entity that made contributions to the resource’).  This is the
      closest that Dublin Core comes to defining the last modifier, so the
      question is one of general principle – are we happy to infer meaning
      to DC metadata elements in the OSLC-RM context which isn’t present in
      their DC definition?
      b.      Have I understood your proposals about creator/modifier
      elements correctly?  I think you are suggesting that the resource
      creator and modifier can be described as (i) free form text, (ii) an
      rdf:resource URI to a person resource, or (iii) an inline FOAF
      definition of the person.  Is this right? (I would agree)

Simon

Simon Wills
Managing Director
integrate systems engineering ltd