[oslc] Fw: [oslc-website] Simple bug/enhancement trackers?

Steve K Speicher sspeiche at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 17 17:44:00 EDT 2011

I meant to send to community list as well, see below for my responses....

> From: Lee J Reamsnyder/Durham/IBM at IBMUS
> To: oslc-website at open-services.net
> Date: 07/27/2011 11:56 AM
> Subject: [oslc-website] Simple bug/enhancement trackers?
> Sent by: oslc-website-bounces at open-services.net
>

> Hi all,
>
> If I haven't said "hello" yet, I'm Lee. I'm the current "web guy" for
the
> open-services site.
>
> I'm looking at putting some sort of bug or enhancement tracker in place
for
> the site. That way we'd have an open place where people could look and
see
> what I'm up to or report any problems they run into.
>
> Anyone have any recommendations for decent systems we could put in place

or
> sign up for? The priorities for me are:
> 1) Simple
> 2) Cheap
> 3) Web-based

Those are good priorities but one of the top additional priorities would
be:
0) OSLC support

We should use what we support.  This make require us to invent/invest in
creating some unique integrations but I think one of the things we should
strive for is making our efforts be "model citizens" of our technology
base (linked data) and tools (OSLC based).  I fear that if we make our
decisions solely on short-term cost and speed, we will suffer during
longer term growth and credibility.

Of course "Cheap" is a tough one to gauge, we want to make sure what we do

we get good value out of.  So in some cases this may mean investing to get

greater return.

Let me try to outline all the possible features / usages of a tool I'd
like to see:
1. Spec issue tracking
We currently use these:
    OPEN - indicates that we have no response for the issue yet
    RESOLVED - indicates that we have a response that we believe resolves
the issue
        RESOLVED - indicates it is resolved as by above definition and
edits in the draft specification have been made.
    CLOSED - issue has been resolved and the resolution has been reviewed
by the workgroup
    DEFERRED - indicates that issue will be addressed in guidance after
the specification converges
    TABLED - indicates that issue will be reconsidered at some later but
unspecified date
It would be nice to be able to write queries, have report and dashboard

2. Understanding WG / domain status
A way to get an overview, report, dashboard on WG health

3. Tracking general community issues and topics
Would the website WG use this tracker as well for its work?

> Some of the usual open-source suspects are Bugzilla or Request Tracker.
>
> Another option might be to put some of the site source on GitHub and use
> their built-in issue tracker (more details here:
> https://github.com/blog/831-issues-2-0-the-next-generation).
>
> Any thoughts or other suggestions I could go look at?

It would be great to use something that is OSLC-based and already a hosted

offering like JazzHub http://jazz.net/hub and use RTC.  So those that want

advanced capability they can get it.  We can use OSLC interfaces to
provide minimal information.

Just some quick thoughts.

- Steve