[oslc] Consuming OSLC resources from multiple providers--how to do cross-provider links?

Andrew J Berner ajberner at us.ibm.com
Mon Mar 1 13:12:01 EST 2010

Kai,

I'm not sure what you mean by "different ID's for each object" and
translation table.  One issue I think you may be raising is that there may
be duplication of data in different providers, and "how would you know"?
This is indeed an issue if there can be such duplicates!  I know that
certain types of "broker" software, such as WebSphere Process Server,
handle such "key swizzling"---the central store provides the external keys
that consumers have, and each external key is mapped to perhaps multiple
indlvidual keys that providers have so that the same "employee" can be on
multiple HR systems, and the central repository keeps the mapping.  You're
right, we've certainly not talked about any such mechanism in the OSLC
work.

But I believe the point of much of the OSLC work is to avoid such
duplication...instead of keeping a copy, keep a link to the "master".  In
that case, the multiple providers have disjoint data.

One other thing I may not have been clear about:  I'm talking about
multiple providers of the SAME OSLC service...so a test management system
may be linked to multiple change management systems, but they would have
disjoint data.

Does that help with the "merge" issue?

Andy Berner
Lead Architect, ISV Technical Enablement and Strategy
IBM Rational Business Development
972 561-6599
ajberner at us.ibm.com

Ready for IBM Rational software partner program -
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Kaj Kandler <kkandler at blackducksoftware.com>                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Andrew J Berner/Dallas/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |03/01/2010 11:38 AM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [oslc] Consuming OSLC resources from multiple providers--how to do cross-provider links?                                                      |

Hi Andrew,
Not sure if I understand how one would merge result sets from different
providers?

I’d think that the results have different IDs for each object and there is
no “translation” table that I have seen to far. Not to mention that not
every ID must be mapped as system A might not be aware that system B has
the same object.

May be I have not looked close enough to other specs

Kaj

On 3/1/10 12:15 PM, "Andrew J Berner" <ajberner at us.ibm.com> wrote:

      Steve Speicher wrote:

      >Are there particular issues that you see with consuming multiple
      >providers?  Most specs are built with the assumption that a consumer
      would

      >use at least one provider but not limited to one.

      No particular issues...for queries, I assume then that the consumer
      can
      just "loop through registered providers" and send the same query, or
      does
      the main query url have to be discovered from the provider service
      document?  Either way, sending it to "many" providers (typically,
      probably
      not ALL that many) is just looping through the same code as sending
      it to
      one...then combining the results at the client side.   It has to be
      queried
      and combined somewhere, so that seems as efficient as any fancier
      "cross-provider" query would be.

      ajberner at us.ibm.com