[OSLC] resource: storage vs representation--specifying variations in the form of the return from a GET

Andrew J Berner ajberner at us.ibm.com
Sun Jan 17 23:45:19 EST 2010

Thanks, Steve, and as I kept reading I saw that the next section of the CM
1.0 spec about "selective properties" is "in the same vein"---not a
"translation" like the Accept formats, but a variation on the semantics of
what is returned...it's the "partial retrieve" I mentioned in my original
e-mail.  Maybe a combination of these techniques could fit my example,
where it's in a sense a property of a property??  (how many quantiles do
you want, in my example).  The complexity of "what do I the requester want
returned" certainly depends on the type of resource, so maybe there are
some general techniques like Accept header and selective properties that
could be applied to all OSLC specs (nothing about those two sections in the
CM spec is "CM specific"), and maybe some resources need "special"
techniques.

Andy Berner
Lead Architect, ISV Technical Enablement and Strategy
IBM Rational Business Development
972 561-6599
ajberner at us.ibm.com

Ready for IBM Rational software partner program -
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Steve K Speicher/Raleigh/IBM                                                                                                                      |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Andrew J Berner/Dallas/IBM at IBMUS                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |community at open-services.net                                                                                                                       |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |01/17/2010 09:42 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: [OSLC] resource: storage vs representation--specifying variations in the form of the return from a GET                                        |

ajberner at us.ibm.com wrote on 01/17/2010 06:03:20 PM:

>> This raises a question about the spec:  Have we been specifying ways of
> GETting alternate representations of the same resource?  I'm wondering if
> there shouldn't be a somewhat standardized way to do this, although the
> specifics will be resource dependent.

In the CM 1.0 spec, we followed what is commonly referred to as "HTTP
content negotiation".
See section titled "Requesting Formats"
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmRestApiV1#Requesting_Formats

We identified for each type of CM resource, what media types are supported
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/CmRestApiV1#Media_Types_Used

For example, for a change request resource you can request 3 different
representations for it based on the CM 1.0 spec: HTML, JSON and XML.