[OSLC] Possible new Working Group - Automation

Geoffrey M Clemm geoffrey.clemm at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 13 11:06:53 EST 2010

I agree with Samit's concern, and I agree that "Build and Deployment"
would be an excellent name.

Cheers,
Geoff

From:
Samit Mehta/San Francisco/IBM at IBMUS
To:
community at open-services.net
Date:
01/13/2010 11:01 AM
Re: [OSLC] Possible new Working Group - Automation
Sent by:
community-bounces at open-services.net

My two cents...

Automation sounds very generic and up till now the groups have been very
specific around particular software delivery discipline.  I would suggest
calling it a "Build and Deployment" workgroup.

I completely support the need for such a group - it would definitely fill
a crucial gap in the ongoing OSLC working groups.

Samit Mehta
IBM Rational Software - Business Development

Ready for IBM Rational software program:
http://www.ibm.com/isv/rational/readyfor.html
Ready for IBM Rational software Plug-in Central:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/downloads/ready.html

Scott Bosworth/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS
Sent by: community-bounces at open-services.net
01/13/2010 08:37 AM

community at open-services.net
cc

Subject
Re: [OSLC] Possible new Working Group - Automation

Hi David, you've taken the right first step in proposing the new working
group here ( see
http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/OslcWorkgroupPrinciplesandBestPractices
- How are workgroups formed?). I'd like to open it up for comment over the
next week or so to the community on this maillist. Based on that feedback
and assuming there is general encouragement to proceed, the next step
would be to author an AutomationHome wiki page that fleshes out additional
proposed details of the workgroup as outlined in the Best Practices topic,
and then consultation with other Workgroup leads to ensure we wouldn't be
introducing duplicative or overlapping efforts.

As far as the proposal itself, my two cents are that this seems to be a
good topic and in fact one that would fill a gap that has come up in other
workgroups. The SCM and Asset Management workgroups both have integration
scenarios with Automation (Build) systems, and if I recall correctly, some
of the SCM scenarios were deferred because they required the definition of
Build services which had no catcher at the time. Also, there was some
early interest in Quality Management around test automation, though that
was tabled in favor of other scenarios.

Other feedback for David?

Thanks...Scott

Scott Bosworth | IBM Rational CTO Team | bosworth at us.ibm.com |
919.486.2197(w) | 919.244.3387(m) | 919.254.5271(f)

David N Brauneis---01/12/2010 08:25:16 PM---Since I am new to
participating in the Open Services for Lifecycle Collaboration (OSLC)
community, I was unsure how new Working

David N Brauneis/Raleigh/IBM at IBMUS

community at open-services.net

01/12/2010 08:25 PM

[OSLC] Possible new Working Group - Automation

Since I am new to participating in the Open Services for Lifecycle
Collaboration (OSLC) community, I was unsure how new Working Groups
(topics) are proposed or initiated but would like to propose a new Working
Group (topic) focused on Automation. Automation is a best practice and an
important aspect of the software development and delivery lifecycle which
spans the different stages - including multiple technologies (compilers,
languages, scripts, platforms, etc...) and activities(compilation,
analysis, packaging, deployment, etc..). Automation provides the
capability to eliminate manual handoffs between the different disciplines
in the software development and delivery lifecycle as well as
traceability.

Initially, I think that the Working Group (topic) could focus on the a
couple of scenarios:
1. Build - automated compilation and packaging of code
2. Deployment - automated delivery/installation of build output

Regards,
David